Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Mary:

What makes us great, is that we let a lemon slip through once in a while. What KEEPS us great, is that we repair the damage the lemons do.

excon
    Agreed.
    Marydoll Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Hi Excon,

Its going to be very difficult and cost your country A lot of money to repair the damage this lemon has done! I think that I can say that even though I am Irish... Im not hurting anyone am I?!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:48 AM
    I thank you all, yes ALL for responding. From my heart I thank you. And thanks for those that lent a chuckle and support. To be honest, I needed it.

Excon - I guess not uncomfortable, but it makes me sad, upset and sometimes, angry.
    By the way.. thank you for your service.

Need Karma - I hope I didn't upset you. I was upset myself and just really wanted and needed to share how I was feeling.

I don't think my feelings of upset will ever change but I can't thank all of you enough
    For sharing your thoughts and listening to mine.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:56 AM
    People on internet boards and newspapers and plenty of other places have been offering their opinions of other countries forever. I'm not sure why it has come to your attention now. We are all interconnected in some way, no man is an island so to speak. Some of the 'bashing' of other countries is done here by americans. Make sure to apply the same standards to others. :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 09:22 AM
    We accept it because we respect people from all over to have the right to say what they wish. That doesn't mean it isn't rude, that doesn't mean it doesn't upset us sometimes, but in order to have free speech (which I think most Americans agree should be a global thing) we have to tolerate what we don't like as well as what we do like.

Remember too, the media in many countries is quite biased (but not ours :)) and may not portray the US and our actions in the best light. This could be from past disagreements with said country or simply out of misunderstanding. I remember reading in a textbook about a man who moved here from China on business and he was terrified because of what he had heard of America. He thought we all lived two people to a mansion and we all leave our money to our pets when we die, not to our children. He got here and was relieved to find we were normal and hard-working.

Also consider that for governments who are opposed to our administration or our politics in general, the best way to make the displeasure known is to have it's citizens dislike our country and administration as well. It gives the country an upper hand, so to speak, the more people who dislike us, the more likely we are to change.

Depending on what I see/hear people say, I often think their disdain is a result of lack of knowledge about America, what we stand for, and the good things we do in the world. Are we always good? No. But are we evil? No. I know this is a great country; it could use some work, but really, what country couldn't?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    We accept it because we respect people from all over to have the right to say what they wish. That doesn't mean it isn't rude, that doesn't mean it doesn't upset us sometimes, but in order to have free speech (which I think most Americans agree should be a global thing) we have to tolerate what we don't like as well as what we do like.

Remember too, the media in many countries is quite biased (but not ours :)) and may not portray the US and our actions in the best light. This could be from past disagreements with said country or simply out of misunderstanding. I remember reading in a textbook about a man who moved here from China on business and he was terrified because of what he had heard of America. He thought we all lived two people to a mansion and we all leave our money to our pets when we die, not to our children. He got here and was relieved to find we were normal and hard-working.

Also consider that for governments who are opposed to our administration or our politics in general, the best way to make the displeasure known is to have it's citizens dislike our country and administration as well. It gives the country an upper hand, so to speak, the more people who dislike us, the more likely we are to change.

Depending on what I see/hear people say, I often think their disdain is a result of lack of knowledge about America, what we stand for, and the good things we do in the world. Are we always good? No. But are we evil? No. I know this is a great country; it could use some work, but really, what country couldn't?

Just and incredible and clear explanation! It makes sense and helps a great deal.

Thank you... very much.

When I was working with Individuals from all over the world, they were doing a two year tour and all of them and their families cried upon leaving. They were truly sad to leave us. They missed their homeland very much and looking forward to being with their loved ones again, but it did pain them to leave us as well.

I honestly and sincerely thank you for sharing. It helped immensely!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marydoll
    "The rest of the world and the liberal establishment hate the fact that the USA is great."
    This person lists many reasons why America is hated, some quite naïve.

I really doubt that! I for one do not think that the USA is not that great... Far from that in fact.
    Do you mean "I for one think that the USA is not that great?" If so, other than the reason you listed, why?

Your leader is an idiot who thinks that he rules the world. Well he doesn't. He is a money minded man who should not be in power.
    Our leader, like every other leader we've had is quite fallible. But your description of him is just an opinion and I have yet to see anyone show me ANY irrefutable evidence it's true. He mangles words but that doesn't make him an idiot. I have yet to hear of his attempted takeover of Europe, Africa, Asia, Central or South America, and one does not get rich by serving for 8 years as president of the United States. I have never seen the mythological Bush that the left has created.

A great country would have a great leader...
    Fortunately, America is great because of her people. A great leader is just a bonus but at least our leader has a better approval rating than congress... currently a 10 point advantage on average. :D
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 10:15 AM
    "The rest of the world and the liberal establishment hate the fact that the USA is great."

I really doubt that! I for one do not think that the USA is not that great.... Far from that in fact. Your leader is an idiot who thinks that he rules the world. Well he doesnt. He is a money minded man who should not be in power.

A great country would have a great leader....
    Irelands had there fair share of bad leaders too you know. Not every country's perfect, anyway we voted for him so your appropriate answer should be that Americans are money minded. Plus with our current state with the economy we need a money minded person in power.
    Speaking of great leaders who is Irelands prime minister anyway? You know the name of our leader, but who's running your country?
    Think about the hipocracy in your statement.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Hi Excon,

Its going to be very difficult and cost your country ALOT of money to repair the damage this lemon has done! I think that I can say that even though I am Irish.... Im not hurting anyone am I??!!!
    You see, now that is the common misperception. 535 plus members of congress had a hand in this alleged 'damage' - and that's just for starters.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
    The reason we accept bashing is because of our culture…we have everyone's culture.
    For you non-Americans, this means that some of your fellow countrymen, in times past, have immigrated and brought some of your culture with them. The parts we liked we adopted as our own.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    People on internet boards and newspapers and plenty of other places have been offering their opinions of other countries forever. I'm not sure why it has come to your attention now. We are all interconnected in some way, no man is an island so to speak. Some of the 'bashing' of other countries is done here by americans. Make sure to apply the same standards to others. :)
    No doubt, we've been making jokes about the French for decades... and Canadians, Mexicans... :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    The reason we accept bashing is because of our culture…we have everyone’s culture.
    For you non-Americans, this means that some of your fellow countrymen, in times past, have immigrated and brought some of your culture with them. The parts we liked we adopted as our own.

To me, within your answer there is a great answer... In all of us Americans, is actually
    Parts of people all around the world, so, we actually are all a part of each other.
    I am being sincere, not trying to be sappy.
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Jan 30, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I think the British "bash" americans to get back at them.
    Americans think everyone from England speaks posh and drink nothing but tea (ect), and they make fun of us, so we do it back, we copy their accent in a stupid manor and say they eat nothing about mcDonalds (ect)
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Actually magprob you're right, others are following our example. If Americans bash America why not everyone else?
    That is a very good point... and very true.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess-IMYM
    I think the brittish "bash" americans to get back at them.
    Americans think everyone from England speaks posh and drink nothing but tea (ect), and they make fun of us, so we do it back, we copy their accent in a stupid manor and say they eat nothing about mcDonalds (ect)

Hi Princess,

Actually I didn't think the British did bash us :( . But I think we may joke back and forth.
    At least that's how it was amongst some of the British that I met. And sooooo funny you said that about us thinking you all speak posh and drink nothing but tea... That is exactly what my British friend thought we thought. Too funny.

p.s. Do you actually drink anything other than tea :D

Jan 30, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Acctually it's mostly coffee that we drink, tea isn't strong enough anymore :D
    I personally hate tea.
    And I suppose not all americans eat anything other than mcDonalds? I kind of guessed that anyway. :p
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Acctually it's mostly coffee that we drink, tea isnt strong enough anymore :D
    I personally hate tea.
    And i suppose not all americans eat anything other than mcDonalds? i kinda guessed that anyway. :p

I actually love tea :) Goes well with Mc D's. ;)

Actually Mc D's does have the BEST french fries.

Jan 30, 2008, 11:27 AM
    I do like the occasional McD's but too much makes me ill... yes the fries are very nice, I agree ^^
    My friend dips them in strawberry milkshake! How odd! Do you do that? Or is she just strange?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 11:30 AM
    ^^
    My friend dips them in strawberry milkshake! how odd! do you do that? or is she just strange?

I will not speak ill of anyone... she does what :eek:

I never tried it... I'll have to give it a go. Ya know, there are times we eat other then Mc D's, there is Dunkin Donuts :D

Jan 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
    :p I have never heard of that.
    All I know is McD's and burger king.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

ALI G (Borat to you Americans) [ 3 Answers ]

I think he is hilarious been from the U.K its quality. Should watch some of the YouTube vids YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. And this one is him with some NBA players lol classic!! YouTube - Ali G & the NBA (extended version)

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search