Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:34 AM
    I do understand what you are saying NK. But even to speak poorly about our Government, at the frequency at which it is done, is at a minimum uncomfortable, at least for me. As Marydoll pointed out, Americans (okay not all) did elect those in the administration, so indirectly we, as Americans are being bashed as well.

If you were frustrated with your respective countries and your leaders, I surely wouldn't add to the negatively and make mock of your leaders, out of respect for you and your country . I would be immensely uncomfortable saying anything negative about your culture. I would just be intriqued and want to learn more about the simalarites and differences.

I guess I just don't think it is proper to contuially “undress” another's country and all that it entails.

So many have gone before and to try and make this country as well as the world free and a better place, and I guess out of respect for those incredible individuals, as well as the Americans today also trying to make this a better place, perhaps just a little sensitivity, respect and maybe even restraint, when we do experience difficult times and have issues that need fixing.
    Marydoll Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 06:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Allheart]I would be immensely uncomfortable saying anything negative about your culture. I would just be intriqued and want to learn more about the simalarites and differences.

I guess I just don’t think it is proper to contuially “undress” another’s country and all that it entails.
    QUOTE]

I think that once you find out about another countries and if you find faul, you have every right to speak about it in a bad way. I for one would not get personally insulted if you were to say something negative about Ireland once you knew what you were talking about!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Hello All:

There are some who think bashing your leaders is good. There are others who think bashing your leaders, or anyone else's for that matter, is bad.

You hear members of the second group all the time, even here. You might even be one of them. They challenge your patriotism if you don't support the government. They think you shouldn't open your mouth about the things you see that are wrong. They see that as “bashing”.

You can, Allheart my friend, count me as a member of the first group. I think bashing your leaders is good. In fact, I think dissent is one of the MOST patriotic activities a citizen can participate in – yes, even more patriotic than voting.

Indeed, going along and keeping your mouth shut is an anathema to liberty.

So, I will continue to "undress" my country and its leaders as loudly as I can and for as long as I can. And I'm proud to do so. I'm not going to stop my undressing at the borders either.

Please understand, I'm not talking about bashing people or their culture. That's racism. I'm talking about bashing their politics and their governments.

excon

Jan 30, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Hell excon,

Allheart thinks that its wrong for others to speak badly of a country that there not from...
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello All:

There are some who think bashing your leaders is good. There are others who think bashing your leaders, or anyone else’s for that matter, is bad.

You hear members of the second group all the time, even here. You might even be one of them. They challenge your patriotism if you don't support the government. They think you shouldn't open your mouth about the things you see that are wrong. They see that as “bashing”.

You can, Allheart my friend, count me as a member of the first group. I think bashing your leaders is good. In fact, I think dissent is one of the MOST patriotic activities a citizen can participate in – yes, even more patriotic than voting.

To me, going along is an anathema to liberty.

So, I will continue to "undress" my country and its leaders as loudly as I can and as long as I can. And I'm proud to do so. I'm not gonna stop my undressing at the borders either.

Please understand, I'm not talking about bashing people or their culture. That's racism. I'm talking about bashing their politics and their governments.

excon
    Hi my good friend Excon ;)

I stand and applaud your voice. YES, you being an American it is one of your rights. To stand up and be counted and voice as loud as you can any and all areas that you like dislike, scream until your heard then scream again. Yes Yes and Yes.

Where I think we differ is when repeadedly those not from this country do the same, and with great joy at our pains, that is what I speak of. I just wish once in a while a little respect would be shown our way or let them discuss it amongst themselves.

You may undress other countries, but I can not imagine it is at the rate that we are hour after hour.

Now you scream and be heard... I'm listening as well as many others my good friend Excon.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 07:21 AM
    To be honest allheart I find it quite rude and insulting that you find the audacity to tell others what they can and cannot post to a worldwide internet discussion board.

Jan 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    To be honest allheart I find it quite rude and insulting that you find the audacity to tell others what they can and cannot post to a worldwide internet discussion board.

Things are getting interesting!! :) :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 07:29 AM

NK - I am not meaning to insult. And in no way am I telling others what they can or can not post.

What I am saying is that some of what is spoken, written, voiced, I find that it is done in a disrespectful manner.

I again, am not trying to deter anyone from posting anything.

I just think it is about high time that an American says... I am uncomfortable with some of what is written and I wish you would give some consideration when doing so.

That's all I am saying.

I guess I am standing up for my country. There should be nothing insulting about that.
    I woud expect you to do the same for your country.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Probably for the same resons the US bashes other countries.
    We do, do it but we're blinded by our own culture too much to really see it.
    I'm not saying it's right and I agree with it, but that people can't hold others to the same standards that they don't hold themselves to. I mean how many times have you talked about another culture or country in a way though just joking could still be considered bashing? It's one in the same.
    They talk about us publicly, we talk about them behind there backs --that's what makes us Americans-espionage, and playing two countries at once.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
    And we haven't really heard americans speak very nicely of Iran lately have we? And remember "Freedom Fries"?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    Probably for the same resons the US bashes other countries.
    We do, do it but we're blinded by our own culture too much to really see it.
    I'm not saying it's right and I agree with it, but that people can't hold others to the same standards that they don't hold themselves to. I mean how many times have you talked about another culture or country in a way though just joking could still be considered bashing? It's one in the same.
    They talk about us publicly, we talk about them behind there backs --that's what makes us Americans-espionage, and playing two countries at once.

Actually, I am not one to speak ill of another person, place or thing. Not saying that I haven't but it is a very very rare occasion. So, I do have expectations that I guess are high, as they are the same standards that I apply. Hard to believe but it is true.

To be quite honest, I started this thread, as the continual negativity about America, I will admit, really does bother me and just wondered if it bothered any other Americans. I guess I stand alone.

You don't know me, but I always have given the upmost respect to all cultures and that's why I do get so taken back at how freely some speak so negatively about America.
    I will always be uncomfortable with it.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I'm just saying we should hold ourselves to the same standards that we hold others to. I don't like it, but they talk about us we talk about them. It's kind of a mutual thing, we talk about Middle Easterns (well not all of us but a bunch of people) in terms that they're all terroists (they're not, I know I lived in Turkey once). But if we treat them in that way they'll call us stuck up snobs.
    You can't make every country happy. Trying to be better than other countries is a primary role of a country, bashing other countries helps achieve this.

Sorry your right I don't know you but I wasn't insinuating you bashed culutres. I was just answering your question with my opinion which is what you asked everyone for.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    I'm just saying we should hold ourselves to the same standards that we hold others to. I don't like it, but they talk about us we talk about them. It's kind of a mutual thing, we talk about Middle Easterns (well not all of us but a bunch of people) in terms that they're all terroists (they're not, I know I lived in Turkey once). But if we treat them in that way they'll call us stuck up snobs.
    You can't make every country happy. Trying to be better than other countries is a primary role of a country, bashing other countries helps acheive this.

Sorry your right I don't know you but I wasn't insinuating you bashed culutres. I was just answering your question with my opinion which is what you asked everyone for.
    Gernald,

You don't have to be sorry. I know you weren't insinuating. I also started this thread
    To gain some understanding as well. Why do I get upset at the constant negativity and how do others feel.

I really appreciate you explaining it. I truly do. As I said before, I have spent a great deal of time with many individuals from all over the world and each interaction was sheer delightful. It makes me now wonder how did they truly feel about being here and even me.

But anyway, I stand by my upset, I still will never be comfortable with it.

But I do wish the world well.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 30, 2008, 08:23 AM
    I'm first generation American. My parents came here from the Philippines, my father a recruited professional.

I have grown up or lived in 6 states. I have travelled to Europe, Canada, Philippines, Israel, Eygpt. My parents have been to former USSR and China.

This country has its faults, but compared to the rest of the world, it is the best.

The majority of the mainstream media, foreign press, numerous blogs are clearly anti - American. Fine, they are expressing their free speech. That is one of the things that makes this country great. Israel is probably the only other country in the world to have as much hatred directed at it from within and without.
    Could the ordinary citizens speak out in USSR, China [ their Google is censored ] Sadamm's Iraq, Iran, Taliban controlled Afghanistan etc.

How many other countries in the world are there where religious differences lead to ar and or genocide like in Sudan, former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, the Middle EAst etc.

" Indeed, of the charter members of the first Forbes 400, only 32 remain today. Far from a country where only the rich get richer, the wealthy in the US are very much a moving target. While there are 74 Forbes 400 members who inherited their entire fortune, 270 members are entirely SELF-MADE."

In what other country is this possible?

Allheart - I would not worry. I remember growing up in the 70s and 80s. The MSM would denigrate Reagan all the time, then the economy got better, the wall came down and the Cold War was won.

The rest of the world and the liberal establishment hate the fact that the USA is great.
    That American exceptionalism is what made this country. That W is a Christian, that Sadamm is no longer in power, that people are rich; that we are fighting against head chopping, homicidal bombing, tolitarian religious extremists; that capitalism and the corporations provide jobs and allows them to have the lifestyle they hypocritically detest.

I am grateful for this country, all its leaders, the men and women that defend it, and for the ordinary hardworking productive taxpaying citizens.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Actually magprob you're right, others are following our example. If Americans bash America why not everyone else?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Allheart,
    I for one am happy, that I live in the good old USA, if I wasn't there is air, ground, and water transportation. I would find a way out of here.

As for the people that don't live here and dislike this country, get involved with your country to come up with a way to kick our a$$ or change the way your country interacts with us.

If you hate your country then find a way to leave it and zip off to your ideal destination
    Some people aren't happy with anything or anyone or any place and just like to bit@h. I for one don't really care.
    My uneducated way of dealing with it is to let the eagle fly or as the English said to the French "Pluck Yew".
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Hello again, All:

Well, let's get specific here. I love my country. I spilled my blood for my country. I'm a patriot. But, I'm not offended at all when I hear negative stuff about my country – not at all. I know what it's like here. I know how great it is. I know that I'd rather not live anywhere else. I know we're misunderstood in the world.

So, the criticism doesn't affect me personally.

Because, I KNOW what makes it great here is our democracy and our freedoms. By design, it's messy. It's not perfect. It's not understood by most of the world. Plus, I know, that even if they're misguided, our leaders want the same things for us that we do - pretty much.

And, what difference does it make WHO yells at us because they think we torture people?? I certainly do my share of yelling about it. Why shouldn't someone from somewhere else yell about it too?

However, in my experience, all these people from all over the world who yell at US, like us as individuals. So, it's not personal and I don't know why it makes you so uncomfortable.

excon

Jan 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
    "The rest of the world and the liberal establishment hate the fact that the USA is great."

I really doubt that! I for one do not think that the USA is not that great... Far from that in fact. Your leader is an idiot who thinks that he rules the world. Well he doesn't. He is a money minded man who should not be in power.

A great country would have a great leader...
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:41 AM
    I think most understand the difference between the administration and the regular american guy. I'm quite certain people are frustrated with the administration and not all americans.
    Sure, but I wonder how many understand the difference between fantasy and reality?
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marydoll
    A great country would have a great leader....
    Hello Mary:

What makes us great, is that we let a lemon slip through once in a while. What KEEPS us great, is that we repair the damage the lemons do.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

ALI G (Borat to you Americans) [ 3 Answers ]

I think he is hilarious been from the U.K its quality. Should watch some of the YouTube vids YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. And this one is him with some NBA players lol classic!! YouTube - Ali G & the NBA (extended version)

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search