Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaushik Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 01:33 AM
    Total annual expenses
    Hello,

Could someone please tell me if I could include my total annual expenses as some kind of exemption deduction for the 2007 taxes? I'll be filing F1040 NR since I'm a non-resident alien on H1B.

Also, my second question is about the OPT to H1B transition... my visa status changed from F1 OPT to H1B from Oct 1, 2007 onwards... do I have to pay social security and medicare taxes from Oct or am I exempted from these taxes until Jan 2008?

Thank you and look forward to your earliest assistance.

kaushik
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Kaushik:

Negative. That is one of the tax myths for H-1B workers, that their daily living expenses (meals, rent, transportation) are deductble because the H-1B job is temporary.

If the job lasts longer than one year, the IRS does NOT consider it to be temporary.

Further, students on F-1 and workers on H-1B visas are NOT considered to have established a tax home (home country does NOT count), so claiming an OPT or H-1B that IS less than one year is a risky proposition as well.

As for the Social Security and Medicare taxes, you became to pay these taxs on 1 October 2007. If your employer has NOT withheld them, you have the legal bligation to tell him so he can fix the problem. DO s in writing; email is good for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculate the firm [ 1 Answers ]

You have the following information on the You Can Do It Corp.: Current liabilities $100000 Current ratio 2.0 Quick ratio 1.4 Inventory turnover 6x Gross profit margin .20 Given these figures, calculate the firm’s total annual sales (assume that all sales are on credit). Show...

Annual rate of return [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate annual rate of return for an account for which I have added deposits during the year? What formula should I use?

Annual interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I have an invest today, and I need an amount in 21 years. What interest rate must I earn? I need 202,000 in 10 years, What do I need to invest at the end of each year @ 11% to meet my needs?

Annual report [ 1 Answers ]

I have to write an annual report and I don't know where to start! Please help!

View more questions Search