Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
    About Yahoo! Answers.
    Is this site moderated at all?

I see people on there give rude, offensive, and completely off the wall advice. I mean half of the time what people say in reply to a question has nothing to do with the question, it is completely wrong, or its rude, like "what a stupid question."

I have been trying to answer questions on that site, but is it worth it?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
    I like answering there I don't let them bother me.
    What I hate is how people thumbs down you simply because they do not believe the same way you do. Like if you say you don't believe global warming is man made, or that Hillary will make a good president, or that many medicines are harmful, or that there really is an afterlife and you give sites, and studies to prove why you believe what you believe they thumbs down you just because they believe the opposite. Then they call you blind to the facts and they won't even show any of their so called proof.

Who are you on there?
    I have been wondering who all is there and here cause I have seen a couple of the exact ?'s here and there.

I think the problem is there are so many people with so many questions on there that it is hard for them to monitor everything.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 08:45 PM
    The average age in Yahoo Answers is very low compared to here.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
    N0Help - I am Erika B on Yahoo! Answers. I don't see how people can even get their questions answered there, since it doesn't seem to be flitered at all. I have seen 30 people bombard one question, all with different opinions. I don't even see how the asker knows what to think.

NK - I got that feeling about their ages after a while. I can tell who is young and who is not.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
    As of yet, I have never seen an itelligent question answered - the most common answer seems to be 'Re-install windows' When searching for answers, I just skip the Yahoo answers, and whne I have gone to that site and use the back button, all my fonts are changed in IE till I restart the browser
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:51 PM
    That's it. Yahoo! Answers has pissed me off to the point that I am not answering there anymore. I get put down for on point answers, and then offended by someone who doesn't know half of what they are talking about. The boards are moderated terribly, and problems never get taken care of.

AMHD is the best Q & A site out there! Questions will get answered intelligently here, so I recommend people to stay. Y!A is crap and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
    well they are moderated to a point, you are OK as long as you don't have a moral or christian view point, They banned me months ago because I had the nerve to have moral values in my answers, they said it offended others and was not inclusive of all people.
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    well they are moderated to a point, you are ok as long as you don't have a moral or christian view point, They banned me months ago because I had the nerve to have moral values in my answers, they said it offended others and was not inclusive of all people.
    That is a bunch of baloney too! You are better off anyway, trust me. All it is, is a bunch of immature people willing to say anything, or nothing at all for that matter, in order to build their point status. I wish I would get banned!

One girl said I was a terrible answerer, just because she did not agree with what I had to say, when I had facts posted. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 4, 2008, 01:13 AM
    Who cares about Yahoo answers! Everyone knows AMHD is where the cool cats hang out! He he!

How about posting,
    "Why not ask this question at www.askmehelpdesk.com, you'll get a better answer there!"
    To every question posted on Yahoo!

I bet it would soon be moderated then! He he!

We all love you here NS! You know it makes sense!
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Mar 4, 2008, 09:23 AM
    I like Yahoo Answers because the kind of people who look for answers there are the kind of people who click any link they see. It's a cheap and easy way to drive a ton of traffic to your website...
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 09:37 PM
    I found Yahoo Answers a while back, as a hit on a search I did. I do hang around there sometimes (under another name), but I do like it here better.

You can report inappropriate answers and they do get removed, because I've done it and they've been removed. The "inappropriate" part means things like commercial postings (i.e. spam), not giving any type of real answers like just calling someone stupid -- you can report stuff like that and it gets removed. I don't think they really "moderate" it per se, but count on the membership to look for the inappropriate postings. I have no qualms about reporting them.

Just like here, I was hanging around the cats, homework help, computer games... homework help was awful cause everyone just gave homework answers away without even an explanation. (It happens here too but they at least have a semi-official rule here and it's certainly nowhere near as bad.) There are actually some good answers there. Maybe it depends on where you're hanging out. I've gotten a fair amount of thumbs up and been voted as best answer. But then, I try to answer reasonably. Yes, I will comment on other answers, but never tell anyone it was a stupid question or whatever.

Some posters don't appreciate my reasonable answers. Well I guess too bad for them if they just want to hear what they want to hear. But some appreciate good responses, and they can tell who knows what they're talking about. The finance section is very annoying because so many people just want to know how to get rich quick on the internet, which is always bombarded with a bunch of tiered, work-at-home schemes. I post on those intentionally in an attempt to steer the asker away from the garbage and give a more realistic answer. (And then report the "same old" spam postings. Like one guy who keeps posting about the great check he gets every Friday, regardless of the question. Sigh.)

As for the thumbs up and down -- it's not like here where they are meant to be whether the answer is actually correct or a good point, etc. They are actually based on opinion -- does someone like or dislike the answer. It's kind of like YouTube. I see nothing that indicates the thumbs are representative of "correct" answers. So I don't think this is inappropriate for the site -- whether someone likes it being this way or not is a different matter. But I get very few thumbs downs. But I'm also not posting in very opinionated categories like religion or politics. :-) As much as I love to debate, I don't have time to get in the middle of that stuff.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 09:56 PM
    This site rocks compared to Yahoo Answers. Been there. Done that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for answers [ 6 Answers ]

I have been married for 14years and we have3 kids . We have been separated for 4 months now. When we first got separated I wasn't sure about my feelings toward my wife a lot had happen through the years we weren't happy. In the time we have been apart I changed I took a hard look at myself I...

Answers anyone? [ 3 Answers ]

Lets say there is someone that likes to lie about bad things that happen to them... like they lie about being sick or getting beat up... because the attention they get makes them feel good. Does anyone know if that is a disorder and if is what the name of it is?? If you do please let me know it...

Yahoo Answers sucks [ 6 Answers ]

I posted a question about Eddie Money, the musician, and it got deleted. What's this world coming to? I need to start hanging out here more. There seem to be a lot more intelligent people on this site.

I need answers [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking for help in trying to answer questions on how to go about getting a lawyer that's deals with getting custody of my son, I am not sure on how to go about looking for a lawyer or what I am to ask them once I do have one. Also I am wondering if there are lawyers that are out there that...

View more questions Search