Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firecracker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Midland Credit popped up on my credit reports!
    A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Midland Credit indicating a Spiegel account from my past history is being handled by Midland. The letter was asking for a settlement on the account. Today my credit monitoring services alerted me that I have a new derogatory account on reporting on my credit files. It states the account was purchased by Midland Credit. The Spiegel account is an old account, per my credit reports, opened in August of 2000. My credit reports read as follows:

Experian
    Date of last activity Jul 2004
    Date of last payment Dec 2003

Transunion
    Date of last activity Dec 2003
    Date closed Mar 2003

Equifax
    Date of last activity Jan 2003
    Date of last payment Dec 2003

Has the SOL for the state of Georgia expired? If so, how do I proceed in having this information removed from my credit files? I believe the SOL for GA is 4 years for credit card and/or open accounts. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Firecracker
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Well if the Experian record is correct the SOL hasn't expired. But even if it has, that does not end your obligation to pay the account. Nor does it prevent Midland from trying to collect on it. It just limits the leverage they have.

So I would contact them and request verification of the debt and their right to collect it. You can mention if they can verify the debt you would be willing to discuss a settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Credit on My Report From MIDLAND FUNDING Credit Issued in 1999? [ 3 Answers ]

The only thing I can think off I did not pay off was a credit card I had applied for in the year 1999 when I was in college. It was a $500 limit card, being that it was a first credit card I did miss some payments & every time I did I would get hit with a $30 late payment + $30 over limit fee plus...

Credit Reports, and collections [ 4 Answers ]

I had a Sears card when I was in college. They reported it on my credit report in 1998. They sold off the debt to another company in 2004. This company reported the debt at this time. This extended the time it was to drop off my report. Now instead of falling off, it won't go off till 2011....

Liens on credit reports [ 2 Answers ]

If I have a lien on my credit report from a lease that I broke, how long does it stay on my credit for?

Credit reports [ 1 Answers ]

I gave my bankruptucy lawyer a list of credit cards to file under bankruptcy. I was discharged a year ago. I got a credit report a month ago and 5 of those credit cards are still on the report? Does that mean I have to pay them?

View more questions Search