Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Jan 29, 2008, 04:25 PM
    is portable air system of significance
    My mother has just returned from the nursing home after breaking her hip. She says she needs this oxygen machine machine my sister rented for her. I looked at it and it was simply a air compressor hooked up to a plastic line attched to her nose. Tell me what purpose does this machine serve. If it ligit I have no problem paying for its use. However I can't see any value in what its doing. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 03:46 PM
    If your sister rented it from a medical place I am sure there must be something more to the thing than a regular air compressor. If your mother needs oxygen then there is value to it --- as long as she didn't rent it from a tool rental place.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 08:13 PM
    People with chonric obstructive pulmonary disease use an oxygen machine in their home. It is hooked up to an oxygen tank and like you say, attached to their nose. For outdoor use they use a portable unit.

Does she have lung problems ?
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Mar 21, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Tickle, That's the problem there is no oxygen attached to the unit. It is merely pumping air into the hose. I'm very familiar with manufacturing oxygen from a tour in the Navy. I made oxygen for air support in a sub. We are paying $95.00 a month for a machine that does nothing in my opinion. What if anything does room air being pumped into that hose have to do with helping her... I feel this is another medical rip off
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:44 PM
    It sounds like it is a rip off. Can you use another medical supply co.
    Or even go to one and ask them to show you theirs and how it works.
    Then tell them how the system you have is set up.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
    Now I understand your confusion, escheun, I see no beneficial purpose, it isn't even clean air. Maybe they (the med co) can dupe the ordinary person, but you as you say have experience. I would bring them to task and find out just what they are trying to accomplish. So, there is no oxygen tank attached to the unit for the source of purified air ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable Air Conditioner without venting [ 7 Answers ]

I have a large closet that is windowless and I have computers in the room... I need to keep the room cooled and wanted to find an air conditioner that might help me achieve this... any suggestions?

Second Floor not getting enough heat or air through Forced Air System [ 1 Answers ]

I recently switched from radiator heat to a forced air system. I am not getting a strong enough air flow to heat or cool the second floor. As a result I must keep my window air conditioners and now I must go buy electrical heat for the upstair bedrooms. Does anyone know how to fix this situation?

Venting portable air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner to cool my living room/dining room which has no source of air circulation. (The bay window doesn't open and the front door opens to a common hallway for the duplex.) How do I vent the air conditioner? I've thought about running the hose...

Portable room air conditioners [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Can you please tell me how much of an area does a 9,000 BTU cover from an air conditioner (portable unit)? Thanks

Portable air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a portable air conditioner to cool a 360 sq foot garage which is on the north side of the house. There are no windows except in the garage door. I also need a unit that is reliable and quiet. I have searched the Internet and know more about these units than I ever wanted and the...

View more questions Search