Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbohnteach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet
    Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite often, even if she's been out of the house for 6 hours. Can you please help with the grieving process for dogs, and let us know if these things are normal?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 6, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I'm sorry to hear about your Dalmatian! :( Animals grieve in the same way that people do. There is no one specific way... only time. Did your Cocker and the Dalmatian play together on the tile floor a lot? Or did your Dalmatian die or spend a lot of sick time in the places with the tile?
    My sister has a Dalmatian that was totally lost and started to exibihit bad and often odd behaviour after his best buddy died too. She waited about 6 weeks (just some time for her dog to grieve) and went to a rescue shelter and adopted a dog that her dalmatian seemed to approve of. (she took him with) Now they are best buddies, and her Dalmatian stopped his bad behaviour.
    You might want to try that approach if you're willing to get another companion for your Cocker!
    Good Luck! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best pet insurance [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old teacup poodle. He ate choclate and had to be taken to vet. I am looking for an affordable solution to take care of the dog. Any suggestions?

Pet Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have this and if so how has it worked out for you?

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

Help pet with seizures [ 4 Answers ]

I have A 3 year old male St. Bernard who 6 months ago had a seizure we took him to the vet. They said they would put him on medication but it would cause bad kidney problems so we brought him home and he seem to be doing well intill 1 month ago when he had a lot of seizures and then the vet. Told...

View more questions Search