Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jal101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
    7 years and NO response
    7 years ago my fiancé filed for a divorce from his VERY abusive and crazy wife. She got a lawyer, he filed signed the papers, gave them to her to give to her lawyer, and that was the end. The lawyer never filed the papers, and refuses to do anything about it since it was so long ago. His wife ever since has been threatening him to give her 1/2 his tax return or any other $ he comes into cause "they are still lmarried." it gets worse, they have a 10 year old, he pays her $600 per month. He has his daughter at minimum of 4 days per week, and is responcible for 100% of her cost of living! Now we are trying to get married, what will happen when he files again? Can the court just divorce them w/o conflict. Can she still screw us over? I should mention her lawyer was her friend! Is there any loop hole that since it has been so long, we don't need her to sign anything?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
    You don't have to have her sign anything. Maybe things didn't happen the way I read your post. But if your fiancé hires a lawyer (and you didn't say he did), and the divorce gets bogged down and never completed, it is the lawyer's responsibility to push the case through the court. There is always the potential for conflict in court because it is an 'adversarial' system of securing legal rights. If the parents are communicating and working together for the best interest of the child, the amount of conflict can be minimized.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
    I'd be checking that previous wife isn't entitled to half ownership of anything he may have currently... such as retirement accounts, car, home...

Sounds like you need to hire a lawyer that represents you, not her... I'd go after shared parenting, and custodial parent to have the support for her lowered since she is with you over half the time, and also you have the history of the child's time spent with you to support this arrangement.

Have you been operating on temporary court orders all of this time, or how was the visitation and financial arrangements arrived at... There was no final divorce agreement apparently, so it seems like this was put in place "temporarily"

Also, is there a legal or recognized date of separation done through the courts?

Sounds like the first lawyer is only responsible to the other woman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

I would like some response regarding certain paintings [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ya's, Is anyone familiar with the " Barn Paintings or sings" on many of the Amish/ Penn. Dutch barns and buildings that... I have beentold are to ward off the " EVIL EYE " I am a starving artist lol and doing some work on a very old barn in Hapy Camp, Ca. If any one knows anything... the history...

I'm 54 years old [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 54 years old and I feel like I'm in my 20's, I want sex all the time, but the guy I've been with for 12 years doesn't really want it as much, maybe every 3 to 4 days I get lucky, We are both the same age. Does age have something to do with this? When I was going through menopause I didn't...

Ontario / Seven years done... Now seven more years? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada and have waited seven years for a TD Bank entry to come off the "Credit Information" section on my Equifax report, It's come off but now there's a completely new entry in the "Collection Accounts" section for the same arrears handed over to a collection agency. I thought...

5th School in 9 years, 3rd school in 5 years . [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a few questions about visitation and Bio mom moving to yet another school district. 1. Bio mom has convinced oldest SD that money is more important than family, we have tried to get her to come home over the last two years... she refuses and BM does not make her( cops won't follow...

View more questions Search