Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 12:52 AM
    Fear of Needle
    Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone who is a medical assistant can answer my question... I want to become a medical assistant, but I have fear of needle and blood, is it require to give injection or to draw blood?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 14, 2006, 01:07 AM
    First, welcome to the forum.
    Second, if you intend on becoming a Medical Assistant in a Private Practice, or a public hospital, you will have to learn how to draw blood and give injections under doctor's orders, so if you cannot stand the sight of blood, it is the wrong job for you.
    If you can get over the fear of seeing blood, you can always practice on an orange, which is what most young doctors do today, even though some of them cannot give good shots either - I know, I've seen some real bad blue arms after they were finished.
    You could try and find a specialty like Dentistry, where you will not have to give injections or draw blood, but might see a little gum bleeding now and then, which I'm sure you'll eventually get used to. Or you could choose Dental Laboratory Technician - where no patients are worked on, just braces, prosthetics and mostly metals.
    No matter what occupation you choose, good luck.

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Fears
    Hi, Joanne,
    Your other answer is very good.
    I would like to add the same idea, and that is if you have a fear of blood, then find something to get into that does not involve blood.
    If you can't overcome your fear, then you don't want to be involved with needles and blood, or even dentistry, cause of the bleeding.
    I do wish you the best.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 14, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Hi Joanne, I just started going back to school for Medical Assisting. And I believe it is required. One of my courses at least in my school are Phlebotomy and Vein puncture. Are you slightly uncomfortable? Or does the thought of it really bother you where you think you might faint. It may depend on exactly what you are afraid of.

My aunt is an O.R. nurse and she hates getting blood drawn or shots done to her but has no problem giving them to others. And she has been a nurse for twentyfive years. I on the other hand don't have a problem with shots or needles, but I do have a problem with broken bones or compound fractures, those make my stomach turn.

So what I mean is most people I'm medical professions have a somewhat phobia of certain things more than others and many are able to overcome them to do their job. Maybe it will require you to actually do that part of the course in order to get over your phobia.

If not talk to the school about it, tell them your fears about it and maybe they can suggest something. Maybe they can offer some one on one help with the professor when you get to that point in your schooling and help you guide though it. I found that schools especially colleges are good at working with you and making sure your comfortable in your area of study.

If nothing works and your still having a hard time, then maybe I would look into a different genra of a medical field like a dental assistant, where the dealing with blood and shots in very minimal and you don't have to draw blood. I hope for your sake though you can overcome your fear. Good Luck to you!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
    Welcome to the site!.
    As for your fear of needles and blood, it shouldn't take long to get over it.

Jan 15, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Hey briggsdude. I know this is off topic but how did you get the animated icon (avatar)? Evertime I try to use a animated one even ones that small it says I can't download one, what the dealy-o? Sorry for getting off topi, but I had to ask. :confused:
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    Hey briggsdude. I know this is off topic but how did you get the animated icon (avatar)? Evertime I try to use a animated one even ones that small it says I can't download one, what the dealy-o? Sorry for getting off topi, but I had to ask. :confused:
    Glad you asked this, because I'm just as curious. Can't wait to find out how either... P.S. when giving us the answer, please include size, demensions, resolution, and step by step, please...

Too bad this one is almost over..
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2006, 11:46 AM
    You know, that ones been in there up there for a while, I just uploaded one that was within the limits allowed... mustv'e changed it since then?

Jan 15, 2006, 11:57 AM
    That 's really weird because I have uploaded or tried to upload one's even smaller than that and it said that I wasn't allowed too. I guess you're just special, briggsdude, just kidding lol! Darn I got off the topic again. Sorry:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    Hi!!
    i was wondering if anyone who is a medical assistant can answer my question....i want to become a medical assistant, but i have fear of needle and blood, is it require to give injection or to draw blood?
    Joanne,

First, Welcome to the site.

Second, What I'm going to add may sound harsh, but its meant only to help you. One very important aspect of being a medical assistant, is understanding how things work and following instructions. The subforum where you posted this question is titled Introductions. On the first page is an explanation of this forum with a request to read it first. That explanation describes how this site is organized into forums and subforums for specific topics. It asks that you post questions in a subforum appropriate to the question.

The question you posted was not appropriate to this subforum. There is a Careers subforum where it would have been more appropriate. I suggest you repost it there.

Again, I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I couldn't find anyway to explain this to you without sounding harsh in some way. I assure you, though, my only intention is to help you use this site better as well as deal with similar situations in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

Fear of airplanes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, The company I work for has decided they need to send me overseas for business but I'm really not comfortable as I am deathly afraid of planes. I've only been on a plane once and it didn't go too well. I've talked directly to my boss about this and he recons it's just an opportunity to...

My worst fear... [ 5 Answers ]

I haven't written in a while, simply because I have felt horrible... I thought I was pregnant months ago, but ended up it was just a scare once again... well my worst fear has happened and I have just found out that I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) so that means I am going to have a hard...

View more questions Search