Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    will72015 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Was It Murder?
    Here's a hypothetical from a story I'm working on. A guy gets shot by someone who maliciously intends to murder him (unfortunate). The shot does not kill the victim. He runs off and stumbles into a highway where he is almost hit by a truck (more unfortunate). The near miss scares the guy. He has a heart attack and dies (most unfortunate).

The shooter meant to murder the man. The victim was running away from his attacker.

Can the shooter be charged with murder or manslaughter or some other crime?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
    He can definitely be charged with a crime because he caused the accident in the long run.
    I would say at least two or three charges
    Attempted, endangerment, causation and involvement
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Not too disimilar from what happened in the infamous Howard Beach case in NYC back in 1986. A bunch of white kids beat up a couple of black kids, one of whom ran onto a nearby highway where he was struck and killed by a passing car. The attackers were indeed charged with murder, and ultimately convicted of manslaughter. See:

The Queens Spin - The Howard Beach Case
    will72015 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Not too disimilar from what happened in the infamous Howard Beach case in NYC back in 1986. A bunch of white kids beat up a couple of black kids, one of whom ran onto a nearby highway where he was struck and killed by a passing car. The attackers were indeed charged with murder, and ultimately convicted of manslaughter. See:

The Queens Spin - The Howard Beach Case
    Thanks. Sounds like an interesting case in itself. I'll have to explore it a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murder or not? [ 5 Answers ]

If someone sees another person collapse but doesn't ever help them or call an ambulance, and the other person later dies, but would have lived if help had been offered, is that considered murder? If so, what degree of murder is it?

Murder mystery [ 4 Answers ]

I am to trying to identify a murder mystery film, possibly from the 1970's. The setting is a large house (mansion?) near water, possibly an island. A group of people are picked off one at a time, (agatha christie style). When the murders take place, all that is shown of the killer is the hands in...

About murder game [ 1 Answers ]

I watched a movie some years back about a kid who buys a new video game console, he plays the game and in the game he has to murder people. Then people start turning up murdered in the same fashion as he killed them in the game. At the end of the movie it turns out that nobody was killed and the...

Murder detterent [ 5 Answers ]

Hey is media publicity a detterent to murder you know?

View more questions Search