Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honeybun2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
    What do I pay in taxes on land sold that was given to me after both parents died?
    Both parents are deceased. Property was left to the four of us Mom died 9 years ago. We just sold last year. What taxes do I pay?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
    You need to get an appraisal of the property at the time of your Mom's death. That becomes the tax basis. Anything over that amount is considered your profit and is taxable.
    honeybun2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Tax Dept Appraisal used
    We did not get parents house appraised after dealth. Just sold it last year. Can I use information from the Nash Cnty Tax Dept on the value of the house in 1998 which is the year Mom died?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Agreed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Probably not. A tax assessment appraisal is probably not a true market value appraisal.

{Note: I merged the 2 threads, please don't start a new thread for the same issue-<>}
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:32 PM
    I agree that a tax appraisal estimate is NOT the best way to go, though it may be the only one available.

Contact a real estate company who was in business back then; they could probably give you a decent appraised value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal taxes on inherited land that was sold. [ 5 Answers ]

My mother passed away in 2002 and left me and my 2 siblings 2 pieces of property and a house she held the mortgage on. In 2007, we received money from the sale of the 2 pieces of property that were sold and money from an insurance check on the home that burned down in 2007. All of the money was...

The day my parents died [ 5 Answers ]

I need to find a country song title about 7 to 10 years ago I think,it about a little girl whose father kills her mother and himself but she hides behind the couch and she`s in church and "that man on the cross came down and held my hand the day my parents died:)

Mother died left land and payments to me [ 6 Answers ]

We live in fla. THe lady whom my mother had a contract to refused to honor my mothers contract, and is making us start over on the payments for the land. My mother died of cancer after paying on the land for 5 years. The mortgage company did honor her contract for the double wide that was placed...

Do I pay Capital gains on property sold in Italy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen and US resident, but I own real estate in Italy. I wish to sell it, and in Italy there are no capital gains taxes on real estate. My question is, must I pay capital gains on this property here in the States? Thanks! Sal

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search