Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atrobinson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 10:22 PM
    At the time the light was not working on the fan. I hope it works (the replacement part) Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 1, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Keep in mind that if the lights still aren't working but the wires are nevertheless testing as hot, there could also be another possible explanation (especially if you're testing with a "non-contact voltage detector"): the neutral wire to the lights could be loose or broken.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terk
    I moved into our house about 1.5 years ago. In one room there is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan which has a remote control. A few weeks ago the whole device stopped working, meaning we can't get either the fan or the light to turn on. We replaced the battery in the remote control, and checked the switchbox to make sure the circuit wasn't tripped. Any ideas?
    Does the remote or fan respond in any way? For example, does the LED light up when you push buttons, or does the fan or light show signs of life when you turn off and on the wall switch?

No power anywhere could be a wiring issue, a fan issue, or a remote issue.. . You have to narrow it down by checking each one. One thing to look and see is if the remote receiver is in the canopy of the fan and can be bypassed.

Check the wiring as of here:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

And for solutions to remote problems:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by atrobinson
    At the time the light was not working on the fan. I hope it works (the replacement part) Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted
    If you tested voltage at the wires and the light wasn't working, it sounds like an issue with the light or it's wiring.

HOWEVER as PalmMP3 states, it could be a phantom reading.. . Let us know if the new receiver works!
    atrobinson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Well after King of fans sent me the wrong switch box and I had to wait another week for another we put it all together and to my astonishment (knock on wood) it worked! I did need another battery for the remote so there were some tense moments. I thought my husband was going to pitch it (the fan) out the door! All is well now. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciated it.
    Dr John Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
    King of Fans (aka Hampton Bay) apparently have the policy of trying to avoid honoring warranties. One of the easier methods for doing so is to ask for a UPC number, something that you'll only find in your instruction manual (if you still have it), or buried so deeply in the fan motor that it is a serious impediment for finding it. In my case, I eventually found the instruction manual for my Windward III fan, which, like many others stopped working due to a receiver failure.

However, for those of you who have discarded your instruction manuals, I found out a way to address the issue (at least until King of Fans changes this): download the manual for your fan from their web site (www.kingoffans.com). The UPC codes are printed right within the downloaded manual. For those of you who, like me have failed Windward III's, the UPC codes are 082392551568 for the white version and 082392551575 for the brushed steel version.

Be careful when ordering the replacement receiver -- they will try to charge you for it by saying that it is not warranted. In my case I needed to call them back and read the warranty information to them that clearly says it is, and then send them a copy of my order to prove the purchase date. The extra work is worth the $42+ that they charge for the replacement receiver.

Good luck!
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Very good idea. Only thing is, King of Fans does not make ALL of Hampton Bays fans.
    hky187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
    I have a fan that works new remote that works but my lights don't turn on. Please help
    ddavis1977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
    I had he same problem - remote stopped working. After opening the battery compartment I noticed that one diswitch was stuck in between the two settings (stuck in the middle). I moved it to each forward and back position and the remote started working again. I suppose that dropping the remote could have knocked the dipswitch out of alignment.
    kenaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Thanks for this advise. It worked for me.
    helpme444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
    I have a 52" Viente fan with remote which I also dropped on the floor and it quit working. I flipped the switches one at a time like you suggested and it started working again. I called the hot line for Turn of the Century fans and the only suggestion they gave me was to send them $35 for a new remote. WHAT A SCAM!! Thanks for the help everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans in my office that works off the remote the problem is the remote will work one fan just fine but it doesn't work the other fan at all please help

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Hampton Bay fan stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have had a Hampton Bay fan for about a year now and it's been great. This morning it was not running. When I turned the light on, they both flashed and continued to do so. I put new batteries in the remote and it sill won't turn. It is a Windward III Model 740 183. Any ideas? ...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

View more questions Search