Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chacha_3801 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 08:30 AM
    H1B ( NRA Status ) Online Return Filing
    Hi

I am on a H1 and came to US in Oct and stayed till the end of 2007.

I am using Tax Act online to fill Fed and State Returns. Do I need to worry about what forms the software will send to IRS ? Will it be 1040 or 1040 NR ? For NRA it should be 1040 NR ( correct) ?

Also the forms asks for the Locality name. If I specify the local taxes and Octo name do I still need to file a return for local tax with my municipality? Where should I File ( In the work location or the location where I live? )

Thanks for the answers
    Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
    You CANNOT file your tax return on-line, PERIOD!

If you are single, you MUST file as either a non-resident alien (filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ) or, if you want to wait until June 2008 to file, file as a dual-status alein, filing BOTH Forms 1040 and 1040NR.

In either case, the tax return MUST be mailed in; it CANNOT be filed electronically.

If you are married and you both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2007 (which means you declare ALL of your worldwide income for 2007 and mae it subject to U.S. taxes), then you can file jointly and file Form 1040, 1040A and 104EZ. However, you must attach a statement to your return (that you BOTH must sign) stating that you qualify to do this and that you EXPLICITLY CHOOSE to file this way. That statement requirement makes electronic filing impossible. Again, the tax return MUST be mailed.

If you need professional tax help for this year, contact me at the email address below.
    chacha_3801 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Thanks for the answer to my query. Now, I am Single and I want to know if I file a 1040 and 1040NR both in June as a DUAL STATUS TAXPAYER will I get more refunds than if I file 1040NR now? My approx earning this year is 16000 USD.
    Thanks a ton for the help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
    In 95% of the cases I work on, filing dual-status offers NO SIGNIFICANT tax advantage over filing immediately as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

H1b and F1 couple, what is the correct filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently started work on an H1b visa at the beginning of October. My wife started college on an F1 visa at the beginning of July. We both had UK earnings up to July 2007, on which all UK taxes were paid. I need some help on how to file for US income tax, and what allowances I...

Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return...

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search