Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 08:06 AM
    L1 tax for dummies
    Hi,
    Information:
    I worked in US for 7 months (jul 8 2006 to feb 8 2006) in L1 B Visa.
    While in L1b visa, I was paid allowances for approx $20000.I paid taxes in home country India.
    I didn't know then that I had to file taxes in USA.
    After I returned to India, I got the information about Tax payment after the deadline.
    So could not pay it.
    Now I am here in US on h4 visa.

Questions:

1.What are the consequences ?

2.is that I need to just file the tax forms or should I pay some money. Or will I get some tax return ? I am totally blank on this.

3.if I can do it now, what is the form I have to submit w2/w4?

Your help is highly appreciated.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Yes, your L1 income in the U.S. is subject to FICA taxes as well as income taxes. Your employer must have withheld taxes from your paycheck.

You must file 2006 and 2007 returns as nonresident declaring only the U.S. income. You may owe taxes or may have a refund. It will be clear only after you complete your tax return. If you owe any tax, you will pay interest and penalty.

Now about "I paid taxes in home country India". Please explain. If you reported the U.S. income in India, you should get credit for taxes paid in the U.S. That means from the tax amount, you deduct the tax paid in the U.S.
    You can contact me at [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

FACTORING for dummies [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this is the one thing that I feel that if I get this down, MANY things will become more... obvious? Can anyone help me with this?:o

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Megapixel for Dummies! [ 2 Answers ]

O.K. now nobody here is a dummy, but I do have a question... I recently purchased a larger memory stick for my Sony Digital Camera and was wondering if the overall picture quality would greatly improve if I change my settings from VGA to 4MP? I upgraded from the stock 16MB to a 512MB memory...

Food for dummies [ 1 Answers ]

Im fairly happy with my body (if my tummy was a little tighter I'd be superb). I'm doing crunches every so often to maintain that imperfection. I'm fairly active walking, swimming every so often, coaching cheerleading, and the everyday housework which keeps me constantly on the go. However, I wish...

View more questions Search