Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ridered Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Bratty GF
    My girlfriend of 5 months is just about everything Ive been looking for in a girl. She's nice pretty and has some common sense. My main concerns are the way she acts sometimes. She is 21 years old and started crying on christmas because her present from her parents wasn't exactly what she wanted. I told her to just be happy and exchange it later which earned me the silent treatment for the rest of the night. There have been several other occasions where she has acted this way towards me yelling at me and hanging up the phone because I bought a fourwheeler on an impulse. I just graduated college and I wanted to have soemthing of my own since graduating I can certainly afford it on my salary and I see no reason not to have it. She is still in college and is in cedit card debt not for school items (her parents pay for that) but for pleasure items such as clothing and useless things. Anyway sorry for the ramble but these are things that drive me nuts. Am I right in feeling the need to just move on from her since I have these feelings this early in the relationship? I think I can find a less bratty girlfriend out there...
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Jan 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
    It seems like she is more then just "bratty." She seems selfish and ungrateful. If you have tried to talk to her about her attitude and spending issues and she isn't willing to take a step back and listen to what you have to say in a mature manner, I think it is time to think long and hard about the relationship. She is 21 years old, not 12. Are these qualities something you want in a future mate?

Also, it concerns me that after 5 months, she feels like she has a say in YOUR finances. I have been dating the same person for 2 years, and I wouldn't yell at him for buying a big item like a wheeler. She isn't your mom or your wife.

I think people can change if they want to, but it seems like she has some growing up to do before that can even be a remote possibility.
    ampersandra Posts: 70, Reputation: 10

Jan 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Two issues:

1. It doesn't seem that you're too into your girlfriend. This doesn't really have to do with your girlfriend being bratty, but with your own attitude towards her. Under what circumstances did you meet? And during the 5 months you've spent together, have you developed a deeper love for her? If not, why are you still in this relationship in the first place? It almost sounds as if you have other problems, only her bratty attitude is the most prominent and you're just using this as an excuse to bail.

2. If you still feel you want to continue the relationship after answering the questions posed in the first issue honestly (you don't have to tell us your answers), then you just have to tell her honestly about her attitude. Has she ever worked before? Suggest that she should try doing a relatively low-paying job with minimal requirements just for the experience of it. Challenge her. Majority of her co-workers in such an environment would be college students who are trying to make ends meet and older people with families that may have a high level of education in a foreign country, but the country she's in does not recognise it. Talking to these people on a regular basis will make her realise the value of money and a lot more.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Can you see High Maintenance in this young woman? Is that how you want to live the rest of your life? It gets old, annoying, way past what is acceptable and desirable.

You are right in feeling the need to move on - do it now before you get into the relationship too deep and make any foolish mistakes.
    EuRa Posts: 315, Reputation: 64

Jan 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
    I had one of these girls once. I dropped her so fast it made her head spin. Anyone who puts a greater emphasis on "stuff" than on life doesn't get to sit next to me. Cried over a gift? 21 years old? Did you by any chance transpose those numbers, and she's actually 12 instead? Sad.
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Jan 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Okay, you said 'common sense' where is the common sense? She is way too self centered, find a less bratty girl, life is too short.
    thegirlishurting Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Jan 29, 2008, 01:32 AM
    I can imagine when you said that 'shes just about everything'...

Ive met several girls in my lifetime to know what type of girl she is... she's extremely beautiful, sweet and one smile of hers would melt a heart of stone. Who wouldn't want that type in his life?

But it also has its drawbacks, she can also be mean, materialistic and superficial. Because when she wants something, she will get it. And that would make her a "B".

Don't expect her to change just because her behavior is pissing you off... She's the whole package dude. Take it or leave it. Your choice.

Note: There are other good people out there to love and deserves the love you can give.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Material girls will always be material girls.

And she sounds like the Queen Bee of Material Girls...

Crying over a Christmas present? At 21? Yeah... you really don't need that. I shudder to think what she'd do if her diamond engagement ring wasn't sparkly enough!

You're right... there are less bratty girls out here... just keep looking! :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 02:43 PM
    I found it telling, that she was all you wanted in a woman to start this post, but the last line was just the opposite. Hey if she has you irritated after 5 months, then a year would have to be out of the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search