Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 02:40 PM
    .exe Files Won't Run From Shortcuts
    Hi, I'm new here and have a problem with my PC. Last night while on the internet, a small window popped up which said something like " Windows will now shutdown". In the grey box below was the message "oh no :-(". My computer then shut down & automatically restarted. I have McAfee Viruscan and firewall plus both running and up to date so when this happened I ran a full scan. 7 identical trojan files were found so I deleted them. However, whenever I click a shortcut to start a program, I get the window come up asking which program I would like to use to run this file. Obviously as they are .exe files they ARE the program. I can still get programs to run by going into My Computer and opening a document but obviously this isn't practical and I want to fix it. :mad: :confused:

Anyone know what the problem is & how to cure it, I guess it is some sort of virus.

Thanks & sorry for the long post!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
    First things first.
    I would recommend running Trend Hosuecall just to make doubly sure your system is clean.

Then it should, from what you've said, just be a simple case of deleting the old shortcut and recreating a new one.
    A quick way is to find the program you want, right click and send to. One of the options is Desktop shortcut.

Hope this helps
    Bryn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Thanks. Tried that & removed some Adware & trojans but I still have the same problems. Have tried deleting existing shortcuts & creating new ones but no luck.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jan 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Go to:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

Click the GO button, then under Virus Detection, click Start. You might be told that you need to download and install ActiveX Contols for the scan to work, answer Yes.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: http://sarc.com/ and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually.

I would suggest downloading Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, a program that removes spyware, available from:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp

Once installed, enable Tea Timer. Open the Spybot Search & Destroy, click the "+" sign next to Tools on the left side of the screen, click System Startup, then on the right side of the page check HK_CU Run Spybot Tea Timer.

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future.

Check for updates before running. If you have trouble getting the updates, near the top of the Update Window, click the little arrow next See-Cure #1(Europe), highlight the next one on the list, See-Cure #2 and try to download the updates. If that doesn't work, try the next one the list. Until you get one you can download from. Being a free program, if too many people are using the same site to download the updates, some people will not get them.

Go to WIndows Update and download the available updates.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Keyboard Shortcuts [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know where I can print a list of the shortcuts for the number keyboard, eg: alt+64 gives you @ and alt+63 gives you a? Is there somewhere that I can print out all of the short cuts, as I am currently working with a French keyboard, and need to know where all of these...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

CGI files [ 1 Answers ]

How can I open or view cgi files I have a handbook but it is in cgi format so how can I view it Please help

CTG Files [ 1 Answers ]

I require the answer to my problem, I have a camera flash card which contains photos that have been configuired into *.ctg files HOW do you open/view or even convert them into jpg files?? HELP

View more questions Search