Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amigosclub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Bill Collector trying to collect Corporate debt
    Almost 8 years ago, I owned a restaurant with my husband. It was incorporated. When we divorced, I left and he kept the business. Several years later, it went out of business.

At that time, we had a contract with a credit card machine company. It was a four year contract, where they would receive a percentage of the total credit card sales receipts. I signed the contract as an employee of the corporation. I was the manager of the restaurant.

Now, a bill collector is trying to hold me personally responsible for the remaining 13 months worth of sales receipts that they lost (at least 6 years ago) when the business stopped operating.

The bill collector claims that since I signed the contract, I was agreeing to be personally responsible for that debt.

They have been calling my house at all hours of the day, including Sundays, and claim that they are not bound by the Fair Credit Act because it is a "corporate" debt that they are trying to collect. They have implied to my father, who answered the phone, that they were just trying to stop from having to take me to court for this bad debt.

Is any of this true? Can I be held responsible for a debt incurred by the corporation? Are they allowed to harass me six years after the close of the business? When I left, the machine was still being used by the corporation.

I would appreciate any help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
    No, since they are trying to collect this as a corporate debts, they can not try to make you personally pay. They are bound by collection laws, send them a written letter demanding they stop any contact by phone,
    Next so what tell them to sue you, ( if they were going to do that, they would have by now anyway) If this is a corporate debt they can only collect from corporate money.

This is a low life credit collector, they are breaking many laws, and lying, which is common among many collectors,

Also try keeping a recorder by the phone, as soon as you answer, tell them the call is being recorded, and ask them to state their name and employee number at the start of the call, Bet they don't talk all that trash then.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amigosclub
    Almost 8 years ago, I owned a restaurant with my husband. It was incorporated. When we divorced, I left and he kept the business. Several years later, it went out of business.

At that time, we had a contract with a credit card machine company. It was a four year contract, where they would receive a percentage of the total credit card sales receipts. I signed the contract as an employee of the corporation. I was the manager of the restaurant.

Now, a bill collector is trying to hold me personally responsible for the remaining 13 months worth of sales receipts that they lost (at least 6 years ago) when the business stopped operating.

The bill collector claims that since I signed the contract, I was agreeing to be personally responsible for that debt.

They have been calling my house at all hours of the day, including Sundays, and claim that they are not bound by the Fair Credit Act because it is a "corporate" debt that they are trying to collect. They have implied to my father, who answered the phone, that they were just trying to stop from having to take me to court for this bad debt.

Is any of this true? Can I be held responsible for a debt incurred by the corporation? Are they allowed to harass me six years after the close of the business? When I left, the machine was still being used by the corporation.

I would appreciate any help.
    Do you have the contract? How did you sign? Individually? For the Corporation? Depending on the size of the debt I believe I'd contact an Attorney -

And I certainly would tell them to stop calling. The suggestion that you say you are recording the call will probably end things right then and there but I would be prepared to be served with papers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

Can I go to jail for nohaving the money to pay a bill collector [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I owe a bill in Texas for $1,800 I have lost my job and I have no way of paying at this time. A bill colletor called me and told me I had to pay 700 up front and that if not I would be taken to court. I talked to a few people and they said I should try to offer them a small amount each month...

Old Debt New Collector [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting my first mortgage, After a long haul of building my credit, I have ran my credit often and knew that an old phone bill debt was due to come off my credit in 2006, Which it did. It had not appeared at all past three checks, I got a letter in the mail recently that...

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

View more questions Search