Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
    ?Bad News for Firefox Users?
    Got this on one of my Computer World subscriptions and just thought I'd share it. I use Firefox for things I can't get on I.E. now some game-playing is messing things up here too. Too bad the internet is also being manipulated by 'powers that be'.

http://www.computerworld.com/develop...rom=story%5Fkc

Belated Happy New Year!

Money-mongers make me act like this sometimes.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 02:19 PM
    An interesting piece, but as normal in IT, it is due to noncompliance of the standards.
    If ALL sites complied with the laid out W3C standards then there would be no problems. This doesn't just apply just to FF but any non micro$oft browser.

Interestingly enough there is an extension that can make FF identify itself as IE and thus avoid a lot of these so called problems.
    This is really just another example of Micro$oft trying to enforcing its monopoly on the internet, that and webdesigners that don't know how to code correctly.
    It's even possible (and easy) to check that the coding complies to standards!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update;
    Interestingly enough, I just tried the sites mentioned in the piece and found NO problems at all with them.
    Hmmmmm, good survey then;)
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 13, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Browsers
    Trust Ben's judgement,so I tried the sites with my other browser,Mozilla 1.7.12,and all worked fine.Just to be "silly?", I went to Microsoft's main site,and was okey.Tried Windows update,for a laugh (even though my PC is fully up to date).Yep,they told me to install Internet Explorer,as with Mozilla,no-can-do.I knew that anyway,but was just triple checking,as it's now 2006 :D

I should have added,I just use auto update within my Firefox,or Mozilla browser,without actually visiting the M$ update site page.
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Now here's the extension you want for Windoze update; link

If you read further down the page it even gives some advice on making it ident as IE ;)

So all the power of FF with some IE compliant functions too ;)

Or how about an IE tab with in FF's shell ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Does this mean we should not always believe what we read? Or is this a problem with corporations that restrict anyway?

Did not mean to be misleading if I was.

P.S. Curlyben - I told you, Well deserved!
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 04:43 PM
    When it comes to stories like this you should be very suspect, I always check the source form at least 3 angles ;)
    I always take them with a very large pinch of salt and test them myself.

There is so much research done, that if all of it was correct your computer would never start up no matter what was on it.
    A company called Gartner is a good example. Basically they are a mouth piece for Micro$oft and they are always coming out with research that shows everything else is either unstable, more expensive, buggier, etc than MS products.

You're not being misleading, after all it always helps to ask a second opinion on most things anyway ;)

We Love you anyway Cheery :cool:
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Thanks Curlyben - you always pick me up!
    Hey any of you want to check these out for me?
    I belong for life to this site with a lot of freebies and I have found some real nice things there and they update pretty much on a regular basis.
    Anyone willing to try these items out and passing judgement, let me know. Thanks again for all your support, folks - you really are a great 'family'. P.S. There's a good joke from that site also which I added to my jokes thread- check it out.

Smart Fat Recovery v2.0 -- Win9x/ME/XP
    Smart Fat Recovery is a data recovery tool that supports the
    FAT 12/16/32 file system. It can recover data from hard
    disks, digital cameras, and any type of storage media (flash
    drives, USB drives, memory stick, PC card, multimedia card, secure
    digital card & diskette). Smart Fat Recovery is an easy way
    of recovering lost data on a drive. As the author says, it
    "can recover any deleted files, including MS Office files,
    photos, MP3 and ZIP files, even if the partition table is lost".
    You simply fire it up, aim it at the drive you want to
    recover data from, and let it do its stuff. It quickly produces a
    list of file names (usually with a strange first character)
    and you can select the files you wish to either preview or
    restore. However, successful restoration of a file means that it
    cannot have been overwritten by another file, even partially,
    so file recovery should be carried out immediately a file is
    deleted or it is unlikley to be successful. It does have a
    small nag screen as it closes, but this can be prevented from appearing on subsequent uses. Also available for NTFS file systems (called "Smart NTFS Recovery"), these twin programs are a "must have" for anyone who has ever accidentally deleted a file -- and
    isn't that all of us? Get it now! Access this 648kB download
    (594kB for the NTFS version) from:
    http://www.smartpctools.com/fat_recovery/
    Smart NTFS Recovery is a data recovery tool for Windows operating
    system that supports the NTFS file system. The software easily recovers data from any type of storage media - flash drives, USB drives, digital cameras, memory stick, PC card, multimedia card, secure digital card and other.
    http://www.smartpctools.com/ntfs_recovery/download.html

METADATA ANALYZER - freeware
    Metadata can get you into trouble.
    Whenever an MS Office document is created it is complemented with
    such properties as the author, corporate name, document changes,
    editing time and other metadata. All this makes the private information
    available to a third party that may put your company at financial risk
    and/or an embarrassing situation. Metadata Analyzer shall advise you of this information и prevent its unauthorized disclosure.
    Be professional in your office work!
    Verify your document content - don't allow unauthorized disclosure of your private information!
    http://www.smartpctools.com/metadata/download.html

SAFE SURFER- freeware
    Safe Surfer is an award-winning tool for safe surfing in the Internet.
    Besides blocking annoying popup windows the software allow you to
    control the content of sites you visit and ensure confidential Web surfing.
    The software is featured by an easy user's interface and flexible
    adjustment: you can easily customize it to your needs.
    http://www.smartpctools.com/safesurfer/download.html
    WhoLockMe Explorer Extension is a Windows Explorer extension (the right-click context menu) designed for spyware, trojans, etc that displays the process preventing a file from being deleted, and allows you to kill that process so it can be deleted.
    This program is essential for everyone who has problems killing a file because another process is using it. This is particularly prevalent when you try to delete malicious programs that use this Windows feature to prevent themselves from being closed and/or deleted.
    Simply identify the problem file, right-click on it in Explorer and select the WhoLockMe menu item and, when the program's window appears and displays the process locking that program, you can kill the holding process and therefore free the file for deletion.
    This is an easier solution than re-booting into Windows Safe Mode and deleting the file in that mode.
    WhoLockMe Explorer Extension is small, effective, and does not use any system resources because it is not held in memory itself.
    Designed more for advanced users, we consider WhoLockMe Explorer Extension to be a "must have" tool.
    Note: we have been advised that this program is not suitable for Windows 95, 98 or ME.
    (((forgot to add the site, but have the file)))
    will attach if not too large.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip WhoLockMe104.zip (21.0 KB, 31 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tragic news... [ 45 Answers ]

We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as...

Tragic news... [ 23 Answers ]

We just received a call that my husband's brother and sister-in-law were killed in a car crash in Vancouver late this afternoon. They have 2 small children, ages 4 and 6, and I'm not sure if they were in the car or not. We are on our way to Vancouver (booked a flight for early tomorrow morning), as...

View more questions Search