Ask
    smithcook Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Can't rename entry in Regedit
    Regedit gives me this error message
    "The registry editor cannot rename show. Error while renaming key."

The entry I tried to rename to Open is :
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11\sh ell\Show
    I'm using windows XP home edition and I have administrative privileges.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Close any propgrams that may be locking the key. Go to the key in the registry editor, right-click and select permissons. Look at the Advanced tab. Look for DENY permissions. They take presedence over ALLOW permissions.

I am curious as to why you would want to rename this registry key. Typically, you would change the data in the registry strings. Please reply. Also, before making any registry changes, it is safer if you export a copy of the key to a .REG file.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is typically reserved for software installation and registration information and should not be tampered with without knowing the expected results.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software is where you will find software installation settings that appliy to all users on the machine.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software is where you find user specific software installation settings. These include preferences such as default file folders and settings.

Jan 31, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Thank you Chuckhole for your response. Unfortunately this did not solve my problem, but I don't think the fault was yours. I should've given you this symptom, which is, " when I open a .PPS file that came as a mail attachment in Outlook express and attempt to open it the following error is displayed:
    this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set associations control box."
    The set associations control box is correctly configured.
    I believe this error condition started after I upgraded to IE 7.
    Note that the same file opens correctly when saved to disk and then viewed.
    Regards, Richard
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
    I would assume then that when the file is an attachment in Outlook Express, that you are trying to open the file using Internet Explorer. Since it is a PowerPoint Show (.PPS) file, this should not be a problem.

Internet Explorer uses an Add-on ActiveX control to enable the viewing of Microsoft Office files within the browser. Make sure the Add-on has not been disabled. Check for the latest Service Pack for your version of MS Office. Even if you are running the latest version of the Service Pack, reinstall the Service Pack. This may help refresh the ActiveX control and the setup for it within Internet Explorer.

A last resort would be to rerun the installation of MS Office using the MSI installer. Run MSIEXEC /? At a command prompt to see all of the options. Example for Office 2003:

MSIEXEC /fpum D:\PRO11.MSI /norestart

This copies the file only if it is missing and refreshes all of the User and Machine registry entries.

Feb 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Outlook express 6 is corrupted in the following ways:
    It will not open a.PPS file attachment. Note that I can open this PPS file if I first save it.
    I cannot print the messages in my inbox.
    My inbox messages sometimes have mistranslated characters.

I attempted to correct this condition by performing the actions suggested in the second paragraph of your message. I did not reinstall office 2007 since it is running fine. I did reinstall Internet Explorer 7, which included Outlook express. However, Outlook express did not seem changed at all. This took a great deal of time and effort since I lost all of my IE settings.

I may have to give up on this effort to correct the errors, unless you come up with some easily implemented suggestions. I've spent hours trying to fix this problem.

Regards,
    Richard
    traffikator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 10:39 PM
    Problem is with a security setting by default in the trust center. Look up protected view to resolve this problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regedit opening in notepad? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts, Am using windows xp as the operaing system.as I try to type 'regedit' in the 'run' command,it opens in notepad and shows some written things which isn't understandable. Please do help

Regedit, msconfig [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is that my registery and msconfig files has been deleted by my anti virus as it was infected . So I am not able to enter it from run command . So is there any way to go to regedit n msconfig . If so it will be helpful for mw n everyone :confused:

Cannot run the regedit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem to run the Task Manager and regedit... ho to solve the problem

Question about regedit [ 2 Answers ]

How I can use regedit which is disabled by system administrator

Msconfig and regedit Win XP pro [ 1 Answers ]

When I open msconfig or regedit, the applications run for a few seconds then automatically close (in the admin account). They run OK if I boot into safe mode. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

View more questions Search