Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xchrisx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2004, 05:46 PM
    Help: Connecting 3 wires
    Pool Motor wires - white, black, black /w white stripe

Power coming into pump house (single breaker) - white, black, bare copper.

Which wires connect to what color?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2004, 08:28 PM
    Usually black to black, and white to white. You need to identify where the black and white stripe one goes. I am guessing the pool has 2 different functions or a 2 speed motor, and the black and black stripe are both to connect to the black through switches to select the different functions or speeds. What does the pool do, heat, circulate water, light, etc.

Jun 10, 2004, 04:21 AM
    The motor is a Jacuzzi 1Mag-U-S. Just pushes water for an inground pool. I do know that the black & black w/ white stipe wires are connected somehow. A continuity test proved that already.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2004, 05:48 AM
    Re: Help: Connecting 3 wires
    Many motors are set up as 3 speed ones. You will have 2 windings going to a common ground giving continuity. With a sensitive ohm meter, you may be able to see a slightly different resistance to ground. One wire to the other should total the 2. One wire will give low, the other medium, and both, high speed. It would have been nice for the manufacturer to have provided some instructions. You could try wiring it up different ways and see which speed you like best. You could even wire in a switch to do it. That takes more than a simple 3 position switch.

Jun 10, 2004, 06:20 AM
    Is there a chance I will blow the motor by trying something. Like if I connected the black to black + black /w white stripe, and white to white? That should give me high speed, shouldn't it?
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2004, 07:31 AM
    Re: Help: Connecting 3 wires
    "It would have been nice for the manufacturer to have provided some instructions."

I am fairly certain it is a multiple speed motor. The safest thing might be to go back to where you bought it, or the manfacturer, and demand to know what the black stripe wire is for.

Jun 10, 2004, 07:33 AM
    Thank you for your help. I will escalate to the manufacturer to find that information out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Birds on Wires [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please explain how birds can sit on electrical wires without being harmed? My 7 year old son asked me this and I cannot answer him!

Dog chewed wires [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and of course we had to get a new dog. Well he decided to chew and rip out the thermostat wire from the ac unit. I'm having trouble seeing where the wires are supposed to be connected inside the unit. I work on electronics for a living and this is confusing me. The...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search