Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherbert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Spring 2008 * Decision on holding back to repeat 1st grade
    I have a son with summer birthday, so he's the youngest in his 1st grade class, and he is VERY IMMATURE. We've had him evaluated for ADD and the determination was made that he loses focus and attention due to immaturity not a medical problem. The teacher and guidance counselor have workout behavior modification for school and home; it is helping - slowly but progress is seen.

He started very behind due to move to new school district and though he's still below level in Reading - he's catching up. He even got B on last month's Reading Test and knew most of his sight words. He's in daily Title 1 reading - which helps.

His Math is great, they do the Everyday math with B, D & S. Often he is Secure even when he should be developing. His Social Studies and Science are at a C level.

Though I see academic improvement to warrant the move to 2nd grade; his immaturity makes me think he should be held back. I was told this would be discussed at the Spring Parent Teacher conference; so I want to be prepared.

What do you think?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    If you are willing to work with him on a daily basis over the summer on his weaker subjects - then I would say YES go for the 2nd Grade. It all depends on what kind of relationship you have with him. A loving and nurturing environment is what he needs overall. He will come around if he was not diagnosed with ADD. Don't expect the school to do all the work either. You need to have mommy/sonny time everyday to teach and learn.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:14 AM
    I know this is an old post, but thought I would throw my comments in.

My daughter was like your son last year. She made the cut off for our system by 2 weeks, so she was the youngest in her class. She did well in most all subjects except reading.
    We were totally against holding her back. Until we had a "intervention meeting". We were told some things that don't show on any report card. She was academically immature. They felt that she could be a GREAT student if given the time to develop. If we sent her on to 2nd grade, she may not get that chance because she would be struggling.
    We were going to get a tutor for the summer, etc.
    After hearing what the educators had to say, we decided to hold her back.

It was the best decision we have ever made. She is now at the top of her class. Her teacher can't believe the progress that she has made. She said now that she has her footing, things should go smoothly for her. NO STRUGGLING!

For boys, it is said they mature at a slower pace. If I were you, I would hold him back. He is young enough now - can you imagine if you were faced with this in 4th grade?
    1st and 2nd grade really give the foundation of education. When they hit 3rd grade, the challenge begins. If he is struggling now, what is 3rd grade going to be like?
    What can it hurt to give him the extra time?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 04:14 PM
    You can ask the school to test him and they can give him special classes for what he may be behind on. I forget what the testing is called.
    If you are going to hold him back it would be better now than later.
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
    No one knows your child better then you do. If you feel it would be to your son's advantage to repeat the 1st grade, it might indeed be warrented. Keep in mind that without a very solid 1st grade education, how well would he do moving on to the next grade? If he is as immature as you say, it may well be wise to hold him back.

Our youngest son, (we have 4 children) had the same problem. To add to our son's problem, he was also physically very small. So we decided that holding him back would be in his best interest. Boy was it ever a good decision. Second time around he still struggled a bit, due to his immaturity. However, he did so much better and by the end of the year had staight A's and even made the Principals Honor Roll.

If you feel that your son would do better repeating the grade, go with you motherly gut feelings. You know what is best for your child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Success stories in retaining 1st grade daughters! [ 3 Answers ]

I welcome any been there done that Fathers and mothers who have worked in their child's class as a volunteer and have a good understanding of school administration politics and teacher & administrator insecurities. I do believe from what I have witnessed that plays apart in the advice they give us...

Will he regret his decision and come back to me? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend has broken up with me for the 2nd time in 2yrs. He came back the 1st time and we were together 4 8mths but then we started arguing and I became possessive and jealous and he broke up with me.He says he still loves and cares about me and wants to stay friends and can't not have me in...

Kid's fantasy movie I saw in 1st or 2nd grade (between 1989 and 1992) [ 6 Answers ]

I remember very little of the movie now, but I do remember that near the end of the movie, the main character (a young boy) escapes a dungeon/castle using an invisible cloak or something else that made him invisible? The main character was somehow transported from the real world into a fantasy...

What's holding him back? [ 1 Answers ]

I met my ex at work in 2004. He had started exactly a week before me. I thought he was cute, but someone had told me he had been engaged for like a month or so. I thought to myself 'oh darn' I had no motive to go and bust them up. Him and I talked at work and eventually through emails and...

View more questions Search