Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ready Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Door Chime Nutone LA174WH
    I bought a home recently and it came with LA174WH Door bell chime. The chime cover was open and when I tried to connect the nodes to the cover, it started making continuous beep. No one was using the push button at that time. Without the cover, when I press the push button, I don't hear any thing.
    Previous owner mentioned that the wires were messed up. Now Can some one help me check the wiring for this.

It has Yellow, Green Wires and a White wire with bunch of thin Orange and red wires.

Thanks for the help,
    Ready
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Sometimes the chime will have 3 connections(common, front, and rear)If only for 1 door, hook up to common and front OR rear for a choice of 2 sounds, then transformer will have 2 wires on secondary, and door button. These 3 need to be in series.
    I have used illuminated pushbuttons that would maintain a connection due to the indication bulb. Try disconnecting 1 wire from pushbutton and manually touch to other wire, if it now works correctly, you can dissassemble the push button, remove bulb and reassemble.
    You will have to twist 2 little tabs straight to dissassemble.
    Don't let all the wires scare you, probably a lot of extra. See what colors are connected to pushbutton.

Jan 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Thanks. In my case, one thin red wire is connected to Front. And then the remianing thin red and orange wires were connected to the Yellow and green Wires. There were 2 balck wires with nodes at the end and they have connection on the back of cover(it has magnet). The model is Nutone LA174WH.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Finally I got a new door chime and connected in the same way the old door hime was connected. I don't hear the bell when I press the door switch. I do hear speaker on noice from the door chime.

Here is the question, looks like my door chime is connected to the intercom system IMA 516. Does any body have this set up

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
    You have connected like this?:
    http://www.nutonesales.com/pdf-files/ima516ins.pdf

Feb 24, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. When I checked the IMA516, THere are no wires connected to Chime screws.

When I removed the old LA174, I saw a IW6 with 2 back wires twisted around the white cable and the rest of pair od red and orange wires were connected. I did the same for new system and hear the speaker mute sound.

I have totally 3 intercoms. THere was transformer connected to IMA 516, but I don't see any thing for LA174.

Please help.

Feb 25, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Any answers. Looks like LA174WH is conncted to IMA516 using IW6, the door push button cables were going directly to IMA516. I see only 1 transformer right next to the IMA516. I don't see any another transformer.

First of all, is it possible?

Please help me.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Program Door Chime on ADT or DSC security system. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ADT Focus 32 home security system. When the system was installed, the installer programmed a different chime sound for each of 4 exterior doors. I would like to change the chime tone on one of the doors, I have the "Instruction Manual" and the "Installation Manual" but neither provide...

Replacing Door Chime [ 1 Answers ]

Wanted to change my door chime with chime from former home. Purchased a larger transformer as directed. The tranformer has 3 connector screws. Hooked one to transformer screw and the other to the front door bell screw. Connected the white wires all together with a twist cover. The followed...

A door bell chime? [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the motor keep humming when you push the button?

View more questions Search