Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysteryperson123 Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Name of book?
    I am writing a book, a book which at the moment I am very proud of. Every time I tell someone I get asked 'What is it called?' I have no idea.
    I will give you an outline of the story so far: A girl named Dandy (excuse the silly name) wakes up one night to find that someone has set her house on fire she passes out and when she wakes up she is surrounded by rodents, rats mice etc. they can talk. She wonders why, she sees her reflection in a pond and sees that she has magically turned into a wolf. She follows a rat called George (a character based on an old friend of mine) and comes into a chamber where an ancient rat tells here everything and that she is a gifted creature known as a two soul or shape shifter, he explains that it runs in her family and that her house was set on fire by a henchman of an evil dragon who wants revenge on all shape shifters. She has to get under cover and turns into a wolf to join a pack. Her new friend George, who is also a shape shifter turns into a wolf too. They join a pack of wolves led by a giant wolf who I for some reason named Fangfull.
    That is a basic outline of the story so far and I left loads of the description out but has anyone got any ideas on names?
    Whew what a mouthful!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Why not just "Two-Soul and the Dragon"?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
    How about "Dandy's Dilemma." That's my idea anyway. Hopefully, others will come along to add their own.

Jan 28, 2008, 01:37 PM
    These names are pretty good, but I need a wide range of ideas, I will add my current idea, it is the only thing I can think of and I am not to keen on it, my idea is just Two-soul at the moment, I am only going to use that idea if I can not think of anything else or if there are no suggestions that I think fit the story.
    Lief_of_Del Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Jan 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
    If there is a twist in the book later on you can name it after that

It sounds like a really interesting book, I wish I could read it

Jan 29, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Really? I could write in the opening paragraph, just so you get a bit of an idea of how I write.

The pounding of paws against the ground.
    Frenzied hooves sending up sheets of snow.
    Laboured breath.
    The scent of fresh blood.
    Wind streaming past lean bodies.
    Terrifying growling.
    Teeth bared in fearsome snarls.
    The hunted struggling.
    The thrill of the hunt shooting through the hunters bodies.
    And an overpowering urge to kill.

If you liked that then I will send more of the story in another time.:D

Jan 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
    If you read the paragraph then could you please comment, I would like to know whether people like it, the only person who has read it so far is my mum and mums always say they like something and I don't know if other people like it too.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
    The Adventures of Dandy Two-Soul

Do you want it to be a series? Cause then you can think of Subtitles.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 09:32 AM
    To me, the paragraph is disjointed.

While I get that you're just going for the images those phrases evoke--it's not doing anything for me.

I would either rephrase it so that it was complete sentences, or make it so that all of the phrases were in the same syntax: Air streaming past bodies. Hooves pounding---all "ing" words, or all present tense, or whatever--but the images don't flow because there's nothing to connect them at this time.

Jan 29, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Oh well, I'm only 11 I can't help it that I don't write perfect.
    Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Hey... you asked for critiques, and I gave one.

For being 11--I think it's GREAT. And your idea is a good one!

If you really want an honest opinion--I'd say write the book first, and then write some more, and keep writing, let it grow to be 1000 pages, and then get a good editor. You'll lose parts of your work in the process, but that's part of writing.

When people ask you for a title, I'd tell them that the right one hasn't occurred to you yet--you're more concerned about the story than its title :)
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 29, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Just whatever you do, keep writing and writing. Then keep editing and editing. Learn the rules of grammar. Keep perfecting your craft. It's good so far, and after a while it will be even better.
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Jan 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Something mystical, say there was some sort of vital component, name it after that

Feb 4, 2008, 12:08 PM
    It doesn't have a vital component yet, but I have ideas that I am sort of storing in my head until the right moment.

Feb 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
    I have edited my story some more and here is a basic outline of what has happened after they join Fangfulls pack: Fangfull tells them that he needs a lead female in his pack because their lead female was killed by a bear, he asks Dandy if she would temporarily fill the post and she says yes.

That is as far as I have got so far, if you think it was a bad idea to suddenly promote Dandy to the lead female in a pack of wolves then when it gets published read it and find out how this is going to work and why I did it. If you know what I mean.

Feb 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Here is the beginning of my story:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt Dandy 2.txt (13.0 KB, 154 views)

Feb 16, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Here is part 2 of chapter 1 so far.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: txt Dandy 3.txt (3.3 KB, 165 views)

Feb 19, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Its really interesting to read
    I wish I could turn into a wolf
    I would be a white wolf, they are more of the lone wolf type in my sense

Feb 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Thanks. I am working on it. I wrote the story because I wish that was happening to me. Most of the characters are someone I know built up on so that they are unrecognisable. I moved house recently and I am basing the characters on people I knew from where we used to live.

Feb 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
    One thing that might help is to write down everything about the character and world

Since you are creating characters they will have their own personalities, beliefs, interests, and past
    Write down everything you can think of for every character that way when you are writing the story you can better show their character by referring to your notes on that character

Same with creating the world
    Each town or village will have its own traditions and way of life
    If you actually create the world you will be better at explaining it and making it seem more realistic
    It also helps run smoothly

I don't know if this helps or not but its what I do when I write storys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

I'm looking for this book. [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I was like in 6th grade, and I bought this book, and a week later it got thrown away. And I want to buy it again, but I don't remember the title. It's about a girl who's mother is an alcoholic and she stays in bed all the time, and the girl has a younger sister named Dani, who's mentally...

Where is my book [ 1 Answers ]

I have install this excel program for almost 10 yrs now and been working fine until last week... I was working on a September program book that I save my work day on everyday and I do back up at the end of the month... on September 15 I tried to open my book and the book is nowhere to be find .I...

View more questions Search