Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chocolatedelite Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2008, 11:26 AM
    In Laws
    My inlaws purchased a house and are moving out of state... They have offered us to move in the house they currently own in NY. Their ultimate plan is to give us the house.. They're not selling us the house, they want to change the deed to our names... The mortgage on the house will be paid up in about 2 years.. they're moving once the house has been paid... What is involved with a transaction of this level?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
    The real issue here is that they are, in effect gifting you the house. This gift would be subject to gift taxes. However, they can get around that, but gifting it to you over time. Since each of them can gift $10K tax free to each of you, they can gift $40K per yr (FIL gives you and spouse $10K each, MIL does the same).

They can quit claim the deed to the you and you sign a promissory note for the value of the house. You can set it up with a balloon payment past where the gifting will have eaten up the amount of the note.
    chocolatedelite Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatedelite
    My inlaws purchased a house and are moving out of state... They have offered us to move in the house they currently own in NY. Their ultimate plan is to give us the house.. They're not selling us the house, they want to change the deed to our names... The mortgage on the house will be paid up in about 2 years.. they're moving once the house has been paid... What is involved with a transaction of this level?
    Thanxs! ScottGem!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone tell me about laws [ 1 Answers ]

What laws is she breaking?

Forecloseing laws [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house in New Jersey that will be in foreclosing soon and a land lot in Florida that will be going into forclosing I owe more than they are worth but I own another land lot in Florida that I own out right without no mortgage can they put a lien on it or try to take it from me thanks tony

New laws? [ 5 Answers ]

I was looking for a website for bankruptcy laws... I currently live in TN my husband and I have no credit card debt. We both had our ID stolen when we went to Korea and Iraq (we are currently trying to prove who did it) and needless to say both our credit histories are destroyed. We have tried to...

Tenant laws [ 1 Answers ]

How many times in one year can a renters rent be raised in the stata of n.m

Ex in laws [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 3 years. I have 4 children. Here's the dealio. My ex has only seen our children once in the past 3 years. Due to his drug addiction, he separated himself from the children and his family (parents siblings, etc.). His parents during this time have spoke to him on occasion....

View more questions Search