Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassibug06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
    HIPPA Violations
    A patient of the practice that I work for no showed for a follow up visit to a work related injury. The employer came into the office to let know that he has also no showed at work and wasn't sure if he would be in for his appointment. A employee called the patient herself and when he could not be reached she proceeded to give the patients personal info to the employer. Is this a HIPAA violations?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Unless the employee gave prior written permission for the employer to have access to his medical information then it is a violation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
    An employee of your practice supplied diagnostic and/or treatment info to the employer? Is this related to a workman's cop claim? In that case the employer might have been entitled to the information. But the employee should certainly have received permission from the office manager or equivalent before releasing any info.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Yes, without written authorization, it is a violation.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 31, 2008, 01:55 PM
    It depends on WHO in the employee's office she gave the info to. Because it is work-related, certain employees are allowed to have CERTAIN information about the case. Who has rights (HR director, etc.) should be clearly stated on any/all consent forms and outlined it company policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question that no one may be able to answer, but I would like some feed back from some of you. My local hospital has recently fired and/or suspended several employee for looking up their own medical records, claiming it is a HIPPA violation. I am very confused about this because how is it...

HIPPA violations [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of...

Aflac/hippa violations? [ 8 Answers ]

What is the deal with the fewer caps thing?? Sorry it's all in lower caps, but here goes: I'm currently out of work disabled and have been since June 6. when I initially got the ball rolling on filing my aflac claim, I gave my boss the employer statement to fill out, but she said she...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search