Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SandraDee Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

Jan 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Children short story about a boy and a dragon
    I read a story a very, very long time ago (probably in second or third grade) in a school text book. It was about a boy who has to choose a dragon egg among many or maybe it's a baby dragon, I'm not sure. It's like a tradition children in the place where it's set have to go through. I'm pretty sure he chooses a red one (egg or dragon) and then has to engage in a race with the other children and their dragons.

I'm trying to collect stories for my niece and would love to read her this one as I remember really enjoying it.
    Wondering Along Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 31, 2008, 01:29 PM
    I think I read this same story in an English textbook years ago - I'm fairly sure it was a short story based on Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" series. Most of that is very adult, but she has written some short stories. A quick Google search resulted in me thinking that it is "The Smallest Dragonboy," by Anne McCaffrey.

Here is a summary:
    The Smallest Dragonboy (story - Concordances and Characters - a Wikia wiki)

And another link:
    Welcome to the Worlds of Anne McCaffrey!

I hope that helps! :)
    SandraDee Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

Feb 4, 2008, 01:17 PM
    It was such a long time ago, that I'm not sure if this is it, but it sounds interesting. I'll definitely give it a read, Thank You!
    Goldtears Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
    You might look up my Father's Dragon or Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher.
    Dalivus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
    Actually you are looking for Dragon's Blood, by Jane Yolen. Book I of the Pit Dragon Trilogy. Centered around Jakkin, a young bondslave who steals an egg and raises a dragon in the wild as a way to buy his freedom. (It was my favorite book!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is name of this short story [ 2 Answers ]

I read this in college. It's about a family that takes a trip. The car breaks down and 3 men show up and they end up killing the family. I think the grandmother survives. I had to do a research paper on the symbolism on this story. Been trying to find it for a couple months now. Please...

Short Story [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, so here it goes... I'm the assigned prayer leader for our math class tomorrow... and my teacher asked me to create a short story and a reflection about it... before I recite my own prayer.. I already have a prayer which is "Dear Lord, Bless us today. Open our minds to help us learn and grow....

Short story [ 1 Answers ]

What is the shortest thing that will be published because I have a story that is only close to 6000 words, I think it is worth publishing but is it long enough and if it is what is it called a novel or a novella or anything like that?

How's this short story? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just wrote a short story and I was wondering what everybody thought of it. It's the first one I have ever written so try not to bash it just to bash it. Other than that criticize it as much as you like.:) By the way I got the inspiration for it while reading a collection of short story's by...

Short story [ 3 Answers ]

I have to bring a short story (preferably no longer than 15 pages) into class, talk a bit about the author and then lead a discussion on it. I'm not a big on reading short stories so I don't have any books on them or anything. Does anyone know a short story that's easy to analyse and has some...

View more questions Search