Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BalaMK08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:23 AM
    Reporting Overseas Capital Gains
    I am an Indian citizen and permanent resident in the United States. When I sell my real estate property in India, I am due to pay taxes in India. When I transfer the sale proceeds to the U.S. am I exempt from capital gains or any other tax on the proceeds under the Double Taxation treaty between India and the U.S.
    If so, is there a monetary limit like the $250,000 capital gains exemption allowed in the U.S.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
    There is NO general capital gains exemption in the U.S.

I believe you speak of the exemption from selling your personel home. On that, if you have owned and lived in the home for two of the past five years and you sell the home for a profit, then the first $250,000 of that profit IS exempt from capital gains. You do not even have to report the sale. That exemption applies regardless of where the home is located.

Also, I DO believe that, if you paid taxes in India on the sale of the property, you are exempt from reporting that sale on your U.S. tax return.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 10:38 AM
    You will report the sale of the property unless it is your main home or second home and you meet the ownership and use test.

If it is not your main home, then you will report sale on schedule D. If you paid taxes on the profit in India, then you can take foreign tax credit by filing Form 1116.

This situation may change if you inherited the house that is you did not buy the house. So post more information so that we can give you more specific answer.

Jan 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Thanks, Mukat.
    I have narrowed my question to one central one. I would appreciate an answer on this one.
    Examine the following situation: I sell real estate in India (one is principal residence and another can be secondary home) and HAVE to pay capital gains taxes. Now, when I convert into dollars and move the money to the U.S.:
    1. Am I liable for any taxes?
    2. If so, how may I avoid or minimize them?
    3. If not, do I have to still report the funds transferred?
    4. And, can I get any tax credits for the taxes paid in India for my U.S. (worldwide) income?

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    You will report the sale of the property unless it is your main home or second home and you meet the ownership and use test.

If it is not your main home, then you will report sale on schedule D. If you paid taxes on the profit in India, then you can take foreign tax credit by filing Form 1116.

This situation may change if you inherited the house that is you did not buy the house. So post more information so that we can give you more specific answer.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
    1) Yes; U.S. capital gains taxes on the secondary home.

2) You CANNOT legally avoid them. You must report the sale on Schedule D. Now, the fact that you paid taxes in India may offset whatever tax you owe to the U.S. which would be at either 5% or 15 (capital gains rate).

3) There IS a requirement to report the funds transfer, but I do not know the form. I believe MukatA can help in this question.

4) Yes, using Form 1116.

Jan 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Thanks for your help; I think I have a better understanding now. I shall get in touch with you for further help as and when some of my plans take shape.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Glad to help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 01:09 AM
    You should read: Publication 523 Selling Your Home
    Internal Revenue Service
    If you bought the house yourself (that is it was not inherited) and sold the house, then you don't report when you transfer the money. You may still have to report the profit on schedule D.

If you inherited the house and since inheritance is not taxable, you must report it if the amount if it is over $100,000. Since IRS wants to make sure that it is gift or inheritance.

Also there is another reporting requirement. If at any time in the year your total deposits in banks and companies exceed $10,000 you must complete Form TD F 90-22.1 and File with the Department of Treasury by June 30, 2008. The Form TD F 90-22.1 can be download from: Internal Revenue Service
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gains: [ 2 Answers ]

I am 65. Do I need to pay Capital Gains on a house that I inherited when I sell it?

Capital Gains [ 2 Answers ]

I received 5000 shares of stock as a gift. I recently sold these shares paying me $200,000. What kind of taxes should I expect to pay. 15% or 28% or something else

Capital gains [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is currently living with us,do to a fall. She wants to sell her house and move into assistant living, does she have to pay capital gains from the sale of her house? She is 78 years old

Capital Gains [ 2 Answers ]

My parents, residence of Florida (Father 70 retired/disability) (Mother 62 still working RN) are selling their personal residence after 12 years of ownership. They will become renters and live off the sale of the house along with retirement income for the rest of their lives. How do they avoid...

Capital Gains [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of selling my house and land which currently is in three different tax bills. I went through a divorce last year and one of my questions can I use the appraisal price that was used for me to own the house and land? Two pieces were combined as it was questionable if the sewer was...

View more questions Search