Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravenmoon06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Divorce question
    Hi, my friend is going through a divorce, His ex is the one that cheated on him and costed him thousands of dollars. He retained an attorney.. But the attorney has done nothing.(and I mean nothing) My friend has moved to another state an his father passed away recently. He wasn't able to make it to this last court hearing and now his ordered to pay his ex almost 500
    Dollars a month. What can he do?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Attorney
    First often it appears that an attorney is not doing anything but often there is little to do, and the judge normally decides what is going to be paid and what divisions of property is, if they couple can not decide.

Of course, he should have been in concact with his attorney and asked for the court hearing to be moved if he was at a funeral of his father.
    If he missed the court hearing only because he is now living somewhere else, the judge will not look good on that, since to him it shows a lack of concern over the case, just did not want to bother driving the distance to be there.

He can always appeal any decision made, make a new motion and so on.

(I will assume this is child support payments) in most states this is a fee based on the income not really something that is changed without good cause)

Will need a lot more details to give any more opinions, but he needs to sit down and talk to his attorney, or hire a new attorney if he really feels he is not getting good legal advice
    ravenmoon06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 07:49 AM
    The payment is not child support, it is for Alimony, The reason he could go to the hearing waas because he couldn't afford it. He called the attorney to try to get a continunce. The attorney would not return any phone calls made by my friend. Plus he was also told that his attorney was on medical leave. And another attorney would be handling his case.He's never talk to this other attorney until 5 minutes. Before court on the phone. She cheated on him through out their whole marriage. He was a faithful husband. Plus she was arrested several times. Now he's ordered to pay her alimony? He has proof she cheated.. How is this right?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Right
    First, and sorry for this, this is the legal system, right has little to do with anything there.

Next sorry the court does not look upon people missing court dates for any reason except emergancy, As for the attorney, if a "friend" was calling the attorney, all wrong, the attorney could not legally discuss the case, with someone that is not the client.

Also depending on the state ( fault) as to whose fault the divorce is, may not even be a major part of the trial. They will look at income earnings, if the wife left a job or occupation to marry and was supported at that life style and all sorts of things.

He needs to be where he can attend the court hearings, and file to have that last order over turned.

Basically he needs to sit down with his attorney first, figure a game plan or decide to change attorneys.

File for a motion and perhaps several chages to the divorce, and then attend every hearing. I would say the bigest mistake in all of this was missing the hearing. The judge does not have to allow new date if one party is not present, they often do, but as you can see don't have to.

Remember divorce is not what is fair or right, but it is how you can "use" the legal system to win what you want.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Legal
    Hi,
    I agree with you other answer, not always fair, but legal.
    You friend needs a lawyer, who will represent him in court, in that state of jurisdiction. He can also ask the lawyer to have the "original court of jurisdiction" to be moved to the new state he lives in, but that doesn't always take place; but worth a try.
    I do wish him the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding Immigration Fraud and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

First of all I'm not sure if this is fraud. However, I have a friend who married a guy from overseas over 10 years ago. He became a US citizen nearly 3 years ago. Then his parents came here recently. Once they came they gave him the idea to divorce my friend and marry someone else from overseas...

Question regarding divorce. [ 4 Answers ]

If a couple gets a divorce, then after a few weeks decides they made a mistake can the divorce be "cancelled"? Who gets notified when a divorce is final? What I mean is how do car insurance companies, health insurance companies, etc... know when your divorced? Is'nt it true that group health plans...

Divorce question [ 6 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce. His wife's lawyer was to turn in the discovery info by today. (He didn't). My question is if they refuse to turn in the info that's requested where do they go from there? His lawyer said to his knowledge they haven't filed for an extension. Why are divorces so...

Question about divorce hearing... HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I am deathly afraid to talk in front of others, in fact I did not continue my college education because I am afraid of speaking in in front of others. My lawyer just informed me that I will have to take the stand at the divorce hearing in front of many people. I am very nervous and already losing...

View more questions Search