Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    choiski Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2008, 12:43 AM
    Lightning theory
    Where does lightning come from? How does it happen?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 12:53 AM
    Lots of information about this is covered on the following site. Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    alexweather19 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Sep 30, 2009, 02:54 PM

It's useful to start thinking about lightning as an electrical discharge between two points. In a thunderstorm, positive charges build up in the top part of the cloud and negative charges build up in the bottom of the cloud. There are positive charges that reside in the ground, so when enough differing charge builds up between the bottom of the cloud and the ground, you get an electrical discharge or lightning. This particular lightning strike is called a negative strike. On the flip side, a positive strike occurs when there is enough negative charges built up in the ground and positive charges built up in the top of the cloud. Usually air is an insulator, but with enough potential difference to travel a particular difference, the air can be turned into a conductor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lightning strikes [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: can lightning strike twice in the same place?:confused:

Skin lightning [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best products out there and what do the dark celebreties us to lighten their skin

Lightning products [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how 2 make my skin lighter.I don't understand because when I look in da mirror I am light,but people tell me I am dark.Anyone haz any skincare products or home remedies, help me.I am so confused

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search