Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xchrisx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2004, 06:12 AM
    3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR
    I need help connecting a motor for my pool.

The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere.

I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. Did not see a 3rd wire. It is connected to a single breaker on my fuse box.

Can I simply combine all the blacks with a maret. Then combine all the whites with another maret. Flip the breaker & presto... it will work?
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2004, 10:48 AM
    Re: 3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR
    When I did my pool motor, I had a similar issue. If you look on the motor, hopefully you will see a diagram that lays it all out for you. On mine, the motor could run on either 110v or 220v and the diagram showed me how to connect by black and whites to my motor.

If there is no diagram, try looking at the manual and if you can't find that, do a search for the model on the manufactures website.

Good Luck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Although you are getting continuity between the 2, possibly going through windings, and perhaps a 2 speed motor. Cap the low or high speed as needed.
    Before you do any connecting look at Name Plate on Motor, should show tap connections
    To acquire proper voltage, and speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search