tuxedo123 Posts: 73, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Paper for comics
    What is the paper they use for making comics? :confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Hi, tuxedo123!

I have been looking for an answer to your question for a number of days now and getting frustrated because I haven't found a definitive answer on the Internet.

My guess is that the majority of comic books that a person usually finds for sale in a store, at least on the inside of them and not the front or back covers, is made of newsprint paper of some kind. You know, like the kind that you would find newspapers made of? But, as before, I am going to ask jrebel7 if she knows since she has had some things published. Maybe not comics, but definitely things that have pictures on them and been for sale on different types of paper or thin cardboard.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxedo123
    Hey there Tux - There is a special type of process used for the newspaper as opposed to books you might have published. If you purchased Newsprint paper, which is available at craft stores, I believe the ink you are using would absorb to readily and you would not get a clean line. My suggestions would be to contact your local newspaper office. Tell them what your questions are and they will direct you to the printing department. If they get a clear picture of what you are wanting to accomplish they might be willing to discuss the process and perhaps even walk you through it. I would expect that the process will be different as well, than when a book is published. I would also ask if they use "cold press" or "hot press" when they print the comics. Most businesses, if they have time, are more than willing to talk to those showing great interest in their jobs. Best to you!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Thanks, jrebel7! So, is it possible that the comic section of a newspaper is printed on another kind of paper than the rest of the paper is?

Feb 3, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Hey there Tux - There is a special type of process used for the newspaper as opposed to books you might have published. If you purchased Newsprint paper, which is available at craft stores, I believe the ink you are using would absorb to readily and you would not get a clean line. My suggestions would be to contact your local newspaper office. Tell them what your questions are and they will direct you to the printing department. If they get a clear picture of what you are wanting to accomplish they might be willing to discuss the process and perhaps even walk you through it. I would expect that the process will be different as well, than when a book is published. I would also ask if they use "cold press" or "hot press" when they print the comics. Most businesses, if they have time, are more than willing to talk to those showing great interest in their jobs. Best to you!
    Thanks a bunch!:D And do you know what kind of paper they use to make manga in graphic novels? Like the name of the paper? I've been hearing that they use B5.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Thanks, jrebel7! So, is it possible that the comic section of a newspaper is printed on another kind of paper than the rest of the paper is?
    It is possible but I imagine that it is all printed on the same kind of paper. I just think that the process is not something that Tux is going to be able to replicate at home. Bearing in mind, I don't have a lot of knowledge of the process myself. I think Tux's best bet would be to make an appointment to visit with the person in charge of the print department of his local newspaper. Who knows, they might even allow him to do one of his as a one time event. The future is his to grab all it has to offer. He just needs to go to the source I think. I do think they might walk him through the process and it would answer many of his questions.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Thanks a bunch!:D And do you know what kind of paper they use to make manga in graphic novels? Like the name of the paper? I've been hearing that they use B5.

Hey Tux, you are welcome.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of the type or name of paper used to make manga in graphic novels. In self-publishing, the art work is scanned by the artist then sent to the company and they put it on their paper from the images you send, put it in book form and send you the book. If you ever looked at lulu.com you saw choices they give you as to diminsions of the book, type of cover, etc.

In my attempt to respond to your post, I am just working from the knowledge I have gained in using different types of paper at home and what the man uses and what he has shared with me, when he makes prints of my art work. That is why I am thinking the artist would have to make a clean line drawing or illustration then it might have to be scanned then put on the news paper. I think you should just make an appt. with the head of the print department at your local newspaper and have all your questions written down. Ask if it would be possible for that person to take you through the process and allow you to see how it is done and what products are used. Most newspapers receive their comics as well as news articles (unless they are local news stories) through means other than local sources but at least the person could give you an overview and perhaps put you in touch with someone who could answer your specific questions regarding type of ink, paper, etc.

I realize I have not given you the information you requested but wanted you to know your post was being read and hopefully you will receive more posts that might be more informative. Best to you.

Feb 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Hey Tux, you are welcome.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of the type or name of paper used to make manga in graphic novels. In self-publishing, the art work is scanned by the artist then sent to the company and they put it on their paper from the images you send, put it in book form and send you the book. If you ever looked at lulu.com you saw choices they give you as to diminsions of the book, type of cover, etc.

In my attempt to respond to your post, I am just working from the knowledge I have gained in using different types of paper at home and what the man uses and what he has shared with me, when he makes prints of my art work. That is why I am thinking the artist would have to make a clean line drawing or illustration then it might have to be scanned then put on the news paper. I think you should just make an appt. with the head of the print department at your local newspaper and have all your questions written down. Ask if it would be possible for that person to take you through the process and allow you to see how it is done and what products are used. Most newspapers receive their comics as well as news articles (unless they are local news stories) through means other than local sources but at least the person could give you an overview and perhaps put you in touch with someone who could answer your specific questions regarding type of ink, paper, etc.

I realize I have not given you the information you requested but wanted you to know your post was being read and hopefully you will receive more posts that might be more informative. Best to you.
    Thanks so much!:D I'll do just that! Even though you don't know the full awnser to my question you are still very helpful!:p
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Hey there Tux,

I found this information for you tonight. I believe it confirms what we talked about in using Bristol board and if ink, India ink. It may answer more questions for you also. I just posted the same link in the query about Manga Art so I wouldn't forget. It is more appropriate for this query though, I believe. :)

SoYouWanna be a comic book artist? | SoYouWanna.com

Jan
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:34 PM
    im so not an expert in this area, but I was in a local art store (one that sells supplies to artists, not a poster/fine art/framing place) just last week and noticed they had a couple of sketchbooks "dedicated" for comic artwork.

Can't tell you if this is just marketing... but id talk to a reputable art store if you are looking for something for you to work with. Our locally owned store has always been a great resource.

Feb 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Hey there Tux,

I found this information for you tonight. I believe it confirms what we talked about in using Bristol board and if ink, India ink. It may answer more questions for you also. I just posted the same link in the query about Manga Art so I wouldn't forget. It is more appropriate for this query though, I believe. :)

SoYouWanna be a comic book artist? | SoYouWanna.com

Jan
    Thank you I checked out the site and I love it! I'll be using it a lot!:D

Feb 13, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    im so not an expert in this area, but i was in a local art store (one that sells supplies to artists, not a poster/fine art/framing place) just last week and noticed they had a couple of sketchbooks "dedicated" for comic artwork.

cant tell you if this is just marketing... but id talk to a reputable art store if you are looking for something for you to work with. our locally owned store has always been a great resource.
    Thanks! What is the store?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old cards and comics [ 2 Answers ]

I have allot of old hockey and baseball cards and comics. I was holding them for him when my son was in high school to sell for him to go to college or university. I told my uncle about them and he has been collecting cards for a long time and has a large amount on hand. He informed me to sell...

Canon MP600 says no paper when there is paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying tp print from Canon MP600 but get message "there is no paper. load paper and press OK" There is paper in feeder - any idea of what solution might be ? Thanks

Self publishing your own comics [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everybody I want to be a manga artist. I found out that if you self publish your own comics you make more money. I love to draw a lot and I know that matters... but lets face it, we don't want to be broke and give the money that we earned to some other company while they keep a lot of that money...

Ph paper? [ 7 Answers ]

I am within days of being 40 weeks pregnant. I do not want to run to the doctor every time I think my water might have broken. I have been I once because of my wetness and also asked about it once at an appointment. Both times I tested negative on the pH paper. The doctor has told me some women...

Looking for a quote from 'Understandinc Comics' [ 2 Answers ]

I have to write this long rambling paper about art, and I want to use a quote from Scott McCloud's 'Understanding Comics'. My copy's at home and not doing me much good there... In one of the early chapters of the book there's the short story with the cavemen. What I'd love to get is the remarks...

View more questions Search