Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RDBernardu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Converting an electrical outlet to be on all the time
    I have an outlet in my bedroom that is controlled by a wall switch. I have been told that by rewiring the outlet you can make it "hot" all the time. How do I do that?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 10:25 AM
    There will be two methods, the easiest is to remove the switch and splice the two wires you find attached to the switch.

You can open the receptacle and see if there is a hot feed there, and rewire the feed to the brass terminals, and disconnect the switched leg. This depends on how the outlet and switch is wired and where the hot feed is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

I want to fix the faulty wiring in the electrical outlets in my house. I know nothing about how things work. I would like to try to fix it if it is possible. It is an old house . The out lets work but when I use a APC surge protector bar the red button comes on which means faulty wiring . So I am...

Electrical outlet going out [ 2 Answers ]

Have an electrical outlet on my covered front porch that I have most of my Christmas lights attached to... last night we had a HEAVY rainstorm with high winds that seems to have blown water into this outlet. Now there is no power coming from the outlet (I have confirmed this with a tester). It is...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Changing an electrical outlet [ 16 Answers ]

I am having trouble changing an electrical outlet in my bathroom. Currently there is a switch that controls the ceiling light. I am trying to replace the switch with a switch/receptacle combo. The box has 5 wires in it--2 black--these were attached to the original switch, and 2 white that were...

Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My Electrical Outlet Is Not Working. I Have Checked The Breaker Box. What Could Be The Problem?

View more questions Search