Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Incorect 1098T and H4 dependent
    Hi

I am on H1. Last year(tax return for 2006) I had to file dual status return. This year I got married in Pakistan in June. My wife arrived US on H4 on September 8th 2007. She doesn't work. I am filing "Married filing jointly" which I think is the recommendation here. I also go to Purdue and have paid $14000 in 2007. University made a mistake in my 1098T form and my 1098T says that $2000 were billed as opposed to $14000 and also in the first box in 1098T it does not list the amount paid although I have paid $14000. I talked to University and they gave me all the receipts because they do not issue a new 1098T. I have also asked them to issue me a letter that says that university has issued an incorrect 1098T. Will that be enough to attach or should I also ask for something else from my University.

I am going to mail my tax return to where W7 application is sent as my wife does not have an SSN.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or I need to do something in addition.

Thanks
    Imad
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 12:11 AM
    Maximum education expenses that you can claim in 2007 is $4,000. You should claim this. You can't file Married Filing Separately and no double benefits are allowed.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Agreed!

You have clear proof that you paid the $4,000. You may want to attach the receipt that shows that you paid at least $4,000, just to counter a possible audit letter that cites the Form 1098-T amount.

You also need to attach a statement signed by your wife that she is the non-resident alien spouse of a resident alien (YOU) and that she CHOOSES to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2007.

Other than that, you are doing everything else correctly.

Feb 14, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Thanks ATE. What kind of statement does my wife need to sign? Is it a simple two line statement on plain A4 page that She is a non resident alien spouse of a resident alien?
    On W7 does she have to check box "e - Spouse of US Citizen/Resident Alien"?

Also my university issued a new 1098-T that reflects the correct amount of $12000 paid in 2007. Also I am going to claim life time learning credit rather than education credit because lifetime learning credit gives me $2000 cash.

Imad
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 08:31 AM
    For more on the statement read page 9 (Statement required to Make First Year Choice) of Publication 519: Tax For Aliens.
    On W7, box e is correct.

Feb 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Thanks a lot Mukta(specialy even pointing me to the correct page). I found it in Pub 519 under "Non Resident Spouse Treated as a Resident".

One last question. Do we need to attach our marriage certificate. I do have an English translation for that.

Thanks
    Imad
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
    For W7, the copy of passport is sufficient. Read instructions to W7.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Visa Dependent [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a graduating Student this fall 07. I will be applying for OPT in fact applied. My first worry is can I go to india during my OPT?? I Have got a job in hand and will be joining from January. If I am allowed to go can I get married and later get my spouse on dependent to US. Kindly help...

Dependent visa uk [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is in uk work permit visa . I'm also in uk on 5 year work permit visa . How can my wife change her visa statue from workpermit visa to uk dependent visa

Oversea dependent [ 1 Answers ]

My mom and dad both are retired, and have no SSN in US. Last year I bought them tickets from Thailand, and they had lived with me for 3 weeks. Can I claim them as dependent? Or can I get any deductions for food, transportation, or trevel expense that I paid while they are here?

Spouse as dependent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm filing as "married filing jointly". My wife doesn't have a job and did not earn anything for 2006. Aside from checking the exception for my wife (Form 1040 line 6b) , can I add her in the list of dependents (line 6c) ? Thank you very much.

View more questions Search