Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    conroy75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 09:57 AM
    "Typical" Flush The Toilet Torch Your Wife Issue
    If any faucet is on anywhere in the house and you run anything else the one already on immediately goes red hot. When I flush the toilet for instance and my wife has the kitchen sink running, it will immediately go scalding hot given it is at a warm water setting. If the setting is cold, then the pressure will drop. If I'm in the shower and the washer runs it goes hot in a hurry. What can be done to regulate the pressure?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2008, 10:10 AM
    What kind of water pipes do you have? My bet's on older galovanized pipers. Am I correct? Tom

Jan 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    What kind of water pipes do you have? My bet's on older galovanized pipers. Am I correct? Tom
    Um, unsure, house was built in 1973
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Could be either copper or galvanized. Find some bare pipes, like water stubouts coming out of the wall or the water heater hookup and let me know.
    Cheers. Tom

Jan 27, 2008, 06:15 PM
    All copper
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by conroy75
    If any faucet is on anywhere in the house and you run anything else the one already on immediately goes red hot. When I flush the toilet for instance and my wife has the kitchen sink running, it will immediately go scalding hot given it is at a warm water setting. If the setting is cold, then the pressure will drop. If I'm in the shower and the washer runs it goes hot in a hurry. What can be done to regulate the pressure?
    Most people think this would be a pressutre problem. While the result is a loos of pressure it's really a volume problem. Here's how it works out. While you can have volume without pressure you MUST have volume to have pressure. A typical complaint goes like this. Minerals build up in the pipe walls over the years cutting down the amount of water,(volume) that can pass through the pipe. Your honey's going rub-a-dub in the shower and you're on the throne in the second bath. Now she has the hot and cold set just right for her. You flush! Big mistake! You have diverted the cold water flow from her shower to your toilet tank. As a rule this wouldn't matter since there would be enough volume to service both draws but with the reduced capacity in the cold water line the volume to the shower is cut in half and the cold water pressure drops. But the hot water volume and pressure remain the same allowing more hot water to come in and the temperature in the shower hits "turn and burn" for the little woman. (Now here I speak from experience) SHE'S Going to THINK YA DID THAT ON PURPOSE!
    Now for a short term fix you could install a in-line booster pump after the water comes into your home but the real repair for that situation is a repipe job. Sorry it took me so long to come to that but I wanted you to understand what was happening and why. Good luck, Tom

Jan 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Repipe job... dang... whats involved with installing an in line booster?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2008, 06:30 AM
    To check on in-line booster pumps click on ;Davey’s HS multistage booster system with Hydrascan control gives strong, even water pressure HS12-30HT1,HS12-40HT1,HS18-30HT1, HS18-40HT2, HS20-65-Ht2, XF14-30K1. Let me know what you decide. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Him: Trying again with wife "for the kids" Me: hopelessly devoted [ 5 Answers ]

Question... Can we remain friends? They are trying again simply "for the kids" even though he wants a relationship with me. I know this is true due to their history... wife had an affair, etc... (They have separated numerous times and this last time decided to file for divorce.) Part of me wants...

Who sang "you entered my life, I made you my wife" [ 1 Answers ]

This song goes something like this" you entered my life,i made you my wife" It is from the eightys.

Fluorescent bulb in flush mount "spots" [ 6 Answers ]

We have flush mount ceiling fixtures that each have two cylinder "spots". They are made by Hampton Bay and call for 60-watt type R bulbs. We like to put fluorescent bulbs in them (to save energy) but we get a funny smell when we do this. So, the question is: Can we use regular 60-watt bulbs or...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

View more questions Search