Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Da Posts: 195, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Proper way to flush coolant on 2003 tacoma V6?
    When flushing coolant is using a garden hose ok,or must you use gallon bottles of distilled water?

I have 55,500 miles and don't believe it was ever done yet. I plan to do so ,if I can this Spring,if I can do so ?

Thank you:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 06:44 AM
    There is a BIG problem that you need to solve first. You can't dispose of antifreeze in the sanitary sewer (drains) or storm drains.

http://www.epa.gov/region09/waste/p2...antifreeze.pdf

The hassle of recycling probably makes it more cost-effective to have it professionally done.

Distilled water is not necessary.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 10:06 AM
    REPLACEMENT (Flushing is not required unless you suspect contaminants in the system):

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 1627
Size:  4.0 KB

1. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT

1. Remove the radiator cap. CAUTION: To avoid the danger of being burned, do not remove the radiator cap while the engine and radiator are still hot, as fluid and steam can be blown out under pressure. Overnight cold is best.
    2. Loosen the drain plugs, one in the radiator and one in the side of the engine block, and drain the engine coolant into a pan (approx 10 quarts US).
    3. Close the drain plugs.

2. REFILL WITH ENGINE COOLANT

Slowly fill the system with engine coolant.

Use of improper coolants may damage engine cooling system.
    Use "TOYOTA Long Life Coolant" or equivalent and mix it with plain water according to the manufacturer's directions.
    Use of the coolant which includes more than 50% (freezing protection down to -35°C (-31°F)) or 60% (freezing protection down to -50°C (-58°F)) of ethylene-glycol is recommended, but not more than 70% . DO NOT FURTHER DILUTE PRE-MIXED MANUFACTURER APPROVED ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASED COOLANT IF USED.

NOTICE:
    - Do not use an alcohol type engine coolant.
    - The engine coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.
    John Da Posts: 195, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Don" I have to flush system first?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 toyota tacoma 6 cyl [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased it from certified toyota dealer. Where is fuel filter?? I also am considering to replace battery with a Optima battery. Thanks John :confused:

2003 Tacoma-- Certified Used Maintenance? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 TRD? 1. How often do I have to replace cap and rotor? 2. How often do I replace Anti-freeze? 3. How often do I replace Trans fluid? 4. I do running around town driving, I have 55.000 miles, bought used Certified with 43,000------- Don't really know what had been...

2003 Tacoma Windshield [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking into replacing windshield due to pitting in glass from previous leased owner.EZ Glass Co,a glass auto replacement business. They will due complete job for under $300.00? I was expecting MORE for this?? Any Comments to price??

Kitch428 -txgreasemonkey---2003 Tacoma? [ 7 Answers ]

Do either of you knowledgeable men know if my 2003 Tacoma 6 cyl 4x4 Trans has a replaceable filter?? Mt toyota service dept uses a flushing machine to replace fluid? He told me there isn't a Filter,which I find hard to believe.

View more questions Search