Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smckaig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Smell in bathroom
    Greetings,

I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases.
    Recently I noticed a strange sound coming from "somewhere" around the base of the toilet close to the wall (inside the wall?) as I ran the sink tap. It sounds as the though the water is dripping onto something or down something - almost as though the vent pipe is completely (or partially) disconnected. I have not noticed any leakage anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sean Mckaig
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Sorry Sean,

Smells and intermittent noise are the hardest to figure out unless you're on site when they happen.
    For the smell I would install a vent cap,( see image) on the bathroom roof vent to discourage backdrafts that may be making their way into your bathroom.

As for your sound, the lavatory drain's connected to the soil stack behind the toilet so what you hear is the water draining down the stack. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Smell in bathroom rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have a bathroom on the ground floor. For the past week it has had an oder of a skunk! We use that bathroom for storage of boxes, we are assured nothing is dead in there, we cleaned everything out and it still stinks. The pipes in the ground don't seem loose. Can this smell be coming from the...

Mildew smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 2 yr old house, for about the last 2 months there has been a terrible mildew smell in one of the bathrooms. The bathroom is used on a daily basis... We have taken everything out of there 3 times now and scrubbed it down with bleach/cleaner, replaced shower curtain, rugs,towels,etc.. It...

Bathroom Sink Smell... [ 2 Answers ]

Someone threw up in my bathroom sink (why there when the toilet is only two feet away I do not know). The sink was plunged, and eventually drained. For good measure, I put a few doses of Liquid Plumr down the drain. Now there is a foul odor coming from the sink drain. Please help!

Musky Smell In Bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

Lately I've been noticing a strange musky smell in my bathroom that seems to be coming from nowhere. This is a spare bathroom that isn't used much, but a few months ago I did some work where I replaced the toilet and used two wax gaskets to seal it. If there was a leak there, wouldn't it smell like...

View more questions Search