Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkassa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Filing taxes after bankruptcy filing
    We filed for chapter7 personal bankruptcy in 2007. We gave up our house and business (franchise) because we could get fresh start. We wiped out ~200k in debt in the process.WE lost ~50OK in EQUITY from the house and money initially invested over the last 3 years in the business. Do you recommend that we get professional help to file our taxes or try orselves.I usually did taxes using turbo tax software.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Just my opinion, but the fact that you are asking should indicate the answer to your question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Of course equity is only paper, since if there really was that much in the hosue, you could have sold it for that much an paid the debts.

So you are looking at a old appraisal value, which loss value because of the housing market, so your real equity loss was not really the bankruptcy but the economy.

I don't believe these losses effect your taxes, esp if the house was sold by the courts.

But I would have a professional do the taxes anyway, We have a couple expert tax people here, I am sure one of them will jump on this in a day or two and give you a more exact answer.
    mldubose Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
    I personally think you should always have an expert do your taxes. The extra you spend is well worth it instead of having some wanna-be tax preparer at one of the chains just filling in the forms.

When you do it yourself, there's always something you could miss, no matter how good at it you are. Unless you are a CPA.

And I'm kind of wondering why you didn't sell the house to pay off everything. Instead of "losing" the equity in it. And then you wouldn't have had a bankruptcy on your credit report.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 09:25 AM
    All points are valid, though I am REAL skeptical about the $500 lost equity, because, as noted, you could have sold the house at a $250K DISOCUNT, and had enough to pay ALL debts and STILL have $50K in the bank.

And ANY bankruptcy lawyer or judge worth his salt would have figured that out and stopped the bankruptcy in its tracks. The judge would have DIRECTED the sale of the house to settle the debts.

That said, get a CPA to do your tax return this year. Make sure he knows about EVERYTHING that has happened for the past five years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing bankruptcy twice? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it have to be before you can file BK again? I filed 6 yrs ago. Also, I heard you can make too much money to file. What is the cut off? House is going to be foreclosed on, have two mortgages on it, need to get out from under this!

So I'm filing for bankruptcy. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I have finally decided I cannot handle the stress any more and am going to file for bankruptcy we are severely in debt and our score is very very low, has anyone filed for it and which chapter was it OK and did it make your life better or worse. I know it's a personal chioe but at this point...

Filing taxes after 2 years of not filing [ 3 Answers ]

I have not filed taxes for 2 years (2004, 2005) and I do not have the requisite documentation from those years. I do know that the IRS owed me a refund; I did not owe them any taxes. How does one file without this documentation? And do I need to file these years before I file for 2006?

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Filing taxes after bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I filed Chpt 7 this year and I am wondering how it will, if it will affect my filing. What documents do I need to share with my accountant? etc.

View more questions Search