Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninnyfi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
    How to rewire a phone jack
    I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that anyone who knows what they are doing can do this theirself. I need help I cannot afford to pay that much for a stupid phone line.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Yes, very easy. You'll only need a screwdriver.

Remove the outlet cover from one of your outlets where your line is working - to see what wires are attached.

Now attach the wires the same way in the outlet that is not working.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2006, 07:08 AM
    As I said yesterday, the trick is figuring out the right way to match the black and yellow top the red and green.
    haus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Radio shack sells a cheapie polarity tester you can use to make sure the jack is wired properly. I've had mine for more than 10 years but I can't imagine I paid more than $5 for it.

Catalog # 43-2225
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

May 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Also keep in mind many "newer" phone lines will use blue and blue/white wires, which are interchangeable with red and green

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewire from 2 phone lines back to one line [ 7 Answers ]

Added line 2 for dedicated dial-up line. Now have DSL & don't need both lines. However, line 2 is wired to room with computer & line 1 has DSL. Can I go to box outside & rewire line 2 with line 1 & put all jacks in the house On line 1? Hope you understand what I am asking. Any help would be...

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Rewire phone line [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my garage into a living space. In order to add windows to my new living space I have to move the phone line in the wall. It goes through the middle of the proposed window. If I disconnect the line and move it down in the wall it will no longer reach the NID. It has to be...

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

How to rewire a telephone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Have two lines but only one of them has ADSL. Computer is close to jack connected to line without ADSL. How can this jack be rewired for the line with ADSL? Thanks.

View more questions Search