Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quicklearner Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Fiberglass shower drain leak w/ PICS (wingtite?)
    Finding this board has been a beautiful thing. I've spent the last few days reading the previous posts on people's shower drain issues, and have learned a great deal. I ignored the problem for a long time, and just used different bathrooms in the house for showers. Very frustrating situation. I've had 2 plumbers in at different times and they just shrug and talk about ripping out things--- not kidding. Then I get charged for an estimate fee and they leave, without giving any good information. Tonight I started doing some work on it, and here are the pics.

Tried to pull out the PVC pipe, as it looked like it was disconnected from a second pipe right below it.

It wasn't coming easily, and was like it was getting stuck on something, so I got a hacksaw and but a slit in the side (the wingtite directions mentioning cutting out the original drain, so I thought "well, I'll just cut out the PVC pipe as well!"

After cutting through it, pulling and moving it up and down, for some reason it still seems attached to the "second" white piece below, even though there looks like there is a gap.

Well, I'm frustrated as heck, thought this would be as easy as the wingtite directions said it would be.

Let me mention, I don't have the wingtite piece. Figured I would get the thing out and maybe repair the PVC pipe first by pulling it out, putting silicone on the bottom, and reattaching it to the piece it was disconnected from, only it looks like it's actually not disconnected to the piece below it.

So here are pics from the bottom of the shower. A very tight space in a basement. The leak drips right on the my HVAC system, and almost rotted through it. Bought the house, and the people MUST have known about this, there was caulk the size of softballs around the joint up there. One of the plumbers I had in reached up there and removed the caulk, and then pretty much started talking about demolition etc. saying there was no way to get to it and to get AC people to take apart the ductwork and call him back to fix the plumbing.

From looking at the underneath of the shower, the leak is happening around the base of the shower, not along the pipe. As in, where the drain seems to meet the floor of the shower, that's where the water is streaming from.

Also, for the pics that are looking down into the shower you can see water that is stuck in the trap. No leaks there. It only leaks when water is running down *into* the drain.

Tried to put as much info as possible instead of some of the posts I saw... those "my shower leaks, help!" kind of things.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Jan 26, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Another question. Could it be that the shower floor is cracking? I'm around 175 and when I step on the shower floor it does sink a little/make noise. I read something on here about improper support for the shower floors.
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
    I'mnot a plummer by trade, but to me it looks like your problem is not the piping itself it's the tailpiece. That's the part with the plastic nut on it. I see you have a no hub on the pipe now so the rest shouldn't be to hard. Remove the no-hub, take that nut off and pull it out through the top of the shower. Buy some plumbers putty. You roll the putty into a string like piece long enough to go around the top of the tailpiece. I usually roll the putty to the size of a pencil. 1/4". The place the tail piece into the top of the shower, push down on it with all your weight, go downstairs and draw the nut up. Don't over tighten it. You should see how its sealing from upstairs... putty coming up along the top of the tail piece. Remember, don't over tighten that nut or you'll defeat the purpose of the putty. Take your finger around the top and remove the excess and you should be in business. The guys at Home Depot and Lowe's can also explain it while your getting your putty... good luck!
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Sorry didn't see that second post. Yes the shower floor could well be cracked if not properly supported when installed. If your eager enough you can fix that also. BONDO!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Remove the Fernco coupling (that black rubber couping with the two band clamps)
    Try to unscrew the nut on the shower pan flange. If you cannot unscrew it (I can see you don't have much room to work), cut it with a sharp wood chisel. The flange and pipe should the come out from the top. Replace the flange and pipe using a 2" coupling to connect the pipe to the piece coming out of the trap. If this gets to difficult because of the close quarters cut the drain pipe several inches back from the trap. Loosen or cut the Fernco and pull the trap out. Remove and replace shower flange Assemble trap with proper length pipe and coupling to fit on the drain line. Dry fit parts together and put in place. Measure length of pipe needed to connect flange to trap. After you have all you parts properly cut, install with primer and glue. This might be tight quarters to work in but demolition of any thing should not be necessary. Somebody put that thing in after the duct work was done. You should be able to get it out

Jan 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
    More pictures... clarification
    Thanks VERY much for the answers so far.

Getting access from the bottm is going to be near impossible. LOL... I took those pictures with the zoom, holding a flashlight pointing to the drain in one hand and the camera in the other. I think you are right about it being installed *after* the duct work was done. I took some pics so you can get an idea of how hard it is to get to the area. hkstroud you're right... no room to work. I guess I have to go about this via the top?

Both answers point to turning the nut underneath. There's no clearance to be able to get to it. I can reach with one arm, and it's only because I'm skinny. The plumber guys that came, both of them, were short and a little tubby. One guy was just a big built guy and couldn't reach, even with a ladder. Arms were too thick.

The leak comes right from where the floor meets what I assume is the nut.

Isn't there any tool to screw this out of the top? I figured that the fernco coupler (thanks hkstroud) is what's holding that pipe in there, and why I can't pull it out from the top of the drain. eschuen what is the "no-hub"?
    Attached Images

Jan 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Now I get the picture. It does look a little tight. I would say that when the shower pan was installed, the flange and the vertical pipe were assembled and attached to the pan. The Fernco was attached to the pipe out of the trap. The pan with flange and tail piece was set down into the Fernco. The other band clamp around the Fernco was then tightened from below. That's probably where the leak is because of the difficulty tightening. The pipe you cut is still glued to the flange and also held by the top band of the Fernco. Had you not cut the pipe you could have attempted to tighten the clamps. Now you must remove both the pipe and the flange. There is a tool for cutting the pipe from the inside but you must also replace the flange. To remove the flange you must be able to unscrew or cut the nut. To install the new flange you must have access to the underside to tighten the nut. More pictures would help but right now it looks like you could remove the turn or elbow of the duct work. Do you see the straps or bands around the joints of the turn? Straighten the ends that are bent around the corner, grasp one end with a pair of pliers. These slide off. With a good grip on you pliers use a hammer, striking you pliers, to pull them off. There is another one with bent tabs in the rear. After removing these you can remove the two that do not have tabs. You must also do the same thing up where the duct appears to go up through the floor. There appears to be another wall next to the duct that will make this difficult but I can't be sure. With the duct turn removed you can easily do the plumbing. Could we have more pictures.
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2008, 12:15 AM
    More Pics fiberglass shower drain leak
    More pictures, as requested..

I circled the spots where the leaking comes fron when I turn on the water in the shower upstairs. It comes from the top, where the pan(?) meets the nut(?). Please correct me if I'm not using the terms correctly! Also, it is the same leakage pattern from before I started sawing through the pipe up top.

For the other pictures, you can see that there's no real space there: the duct juts right up against the wall. Can't get to anything in the "rear"... on the other side of the wall is a finished bathroom, directly below the master bath upstairs.

Vocab lesson-- the flange is the top-looking "drain" thing. And the nut is the screw thing on the bottom, that you tighten up against the underside of the shower pan (floor). Is that about right??

Also, I don't think I cut actually through that pipe---- I know it looks bad though. Now I totally understand why I couldn't pull that pipe through the top of the drain. It is attached to the other one with the black coupling. After someone explains things everything seems to clear up. Amazing.

I guess I need a list of things to get from the hardware store as well. A "nut cutter" sorry... couldn't resist. PVC pipes (lengths/sizes), I guess a new drain? Plumber's putty? I know my way around the hardware store and can find (or hey, ask!) what's needed. I just might remove the duct work and put some of that Mighty Putty around the bottom of the shower pan... (bad idea?? ) ;^)
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Aa
    Attached Images

Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Yes... the other side is a finished bathroom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 12:11 PM
    OK... my input.. if you cannot remove duct work as suggested by hkstroud.. BUT you can get one hand in there...start with loosening/removing the stainless steel clamps completely off the rubber fernco clamp. Then using a sharp razor knife pull the razor across the fernco coupling and cut it off the pipe. I can see it looks rough.. but with long single deep strokes you will eventually cut it off.

Then... and you would need to be real careful here... (AND I AM SURE SOME OF THE OTHER PLUMBERS ON THIS SITE WILL GO NUTS... ;) )... I would super heat a small chisel to red hot and melt a portion of the nut JUST enough that you can get another chisel in and twist it to break the nut. THIS has worked for me in past similar situations.

Please, if you attempt this be sure not to melt into the shower unit... this would be a bad thing!!

Then you just pull drain unit up and out from above... re-install new fernco coupling with ss clamps loose (Place the new drain nut/rubber washer/fiber washer (in that order) over the fernco for now) then prime/cement the 2"pipe into the new shower drain (should be about same size as last piece of pipe in old drain... but still measure dry with drain in place) and install the drain with silicone.

Have a friend hold it in place and you go downstairs and try to attach nut/washer/washer as best you can. Then have friend turn in as tight as he can (work together and between you both it will get tight enough). Let silicone dry overnight, then go back and tighten the clamps.

I know it sounds impossible... IT MAY EVEN BE IMPOSSIBLE... ;)... but this may also work for you.. it has worked for me in such tight places before!! Hope this helped... good luck!!

Also, wait to see if hkstroud has any other ideas... seems to be giving real good advise!!

PS... you could just loosen the ss clamps and not cut the fernco coupling if you desire and just try to snap twist/snap the nut, too. Up to you.

Jan 28, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Next question, (hang in there) Could you reach the drain and trap if you removed a section of ceiling in bathroom?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Good question hk!

Jan 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
    No, the bathroom wall ends 2 or three feet in front of the drain...
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Hey Quick... just wondering... have you even tried to get up in there and loosen the 5/16" ss clamps.. (most are 5/16")... just wondering... cause if you can... I swear my way will get you up and running.. again... just wondering? Thanks

Jan 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
    I figured you were going to say that. My next question is the same as Massplumbers, "Can you get at least one of those band clamps loose?". If you can we can get the old drain pipe out, even if you can't get to the nut around the flange, and we are going to fix this thing. My next question is, how is you woodworking skills? Do you have a saber or jig saw and an drill? Can you cut a circle out of a piece of plywood. I have a plan, stay tuned MP, you'er going to like it.

Jan 29, 2008, 11:02 PM
    I can get to the band clamps... I have long arms and am pretty thin. The whole thing is getting traction on that nut, which is of course, higher up and screwed on tighter than "whatever-you-think-is-very-tight".

Woodworking skills are good. I have a drill and the bits to cut circles. No saber or jig, but I can buy or borrow--- need one anyway! I've built shelves and bookcases so I'm OK with the woodworking.

Jan 29, 2008, 11:46 PM
    OK . Loosened band clamps. If you can get screwdriver in slots great. A 5/16 socket on the end of nut driver handle or on 1/4" rachet with 3" extension might work better.
    After loosening band clamps make another cut in drain pipe just like the one you have already. Make this one about 1" away from the first. Make another on the opposite side of the pipe.
    With a propane torch, heat the inside of pipe. At first fan the flame around the inside of the pipe until it begins to warm. Then concentrating on the 1" between cuts, heat and using a 1/2" or 3/4" wood chisel pry between the walls of the pipe and the flange. When heated the PVC will soften and the two can be separated. After removing the 1" section you can then work on the rest. The edges of the pipe may occasionally catch a flame. Just back torch off a little and blow out flame. After removing pipe, remove Fernco coupling.

Alternative for cutting pipe. Get a inside pipe cutter like shown below, chuck in drill and cut pipe from inside below the bottom of the flange threads if cutter will reach that far, it should.

Next we are going to make you a tool to remove flange nut. This tool will in effect be a wooden socket with a handle that comes up thru the center so you can turn it from the top side.

For that you will need
    1. A replacement flange assembly so we can measure things.
    2. a saber saw and blades.
    3. A drill and twist bits.
    4. a small scrap piece of 1/2' or 3/4" plywood.
    5. Wood glue.
    6. Small brads or nails
    7. A 1/2" bolt and two nuts.(length to be determined).
    8. A small compass or some other device for drawing circles.

Gather materials and I will post instruction for building socket later. 1:45 AM now.

Keep us posted on removal of Fernco and pipe.
    Attached Images

Feb 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Alrighty... back. I got the pipe out. From the picture you can see the little gap where the fernco sleeve is. I didn't do too much loosening of the fernco, those metal strips weren't budging. A couple of proper cuts in the pipe and it came out. Didn't need a torch or anything. One thing I did was take my saw and go around the outside of the pipe, while everything was still connected. I think that contributed to it coming out so easily. I couldn't "saw" around the pipe, just pushed it down and then pulled it up,repeated. Just had to internally visualize the whole setup, it's a different mindset! I'm less confused.

The drain spins a little bit in each direction. For the wingtite directions I see that they talk about cutting the drain out. Is that a possibility instead of building something to try to twist the nut out?
    Attached Images

Feb 8, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Great, you got the pipe out. If the drain flange turns you know what was causing the leak. It wasn't tight enough. If you can get your hand on the nut and grip it enough you may be able to unscrew it. You would have to have someone hold the flange. That would be half the battle.

It is also possible to cut the lip of the flange away with a sharp wood chisel if you are careful not to damage the shower pan. Depends on the amount of room you have between the lip of the flange and the shower pan. With the bevel side of the chisel down, catch the outer edge of the flange lip with a corner of the cutting edge. Most of the chisel should be above the flange. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that the cuting edge of the chisel is almost verticle. Tap with a hammer toward the center of the flange.
    This way you may be able to cut the flange like a saw cut from the outer edge to the inner diameter. Watch to make sure that the chisel is not digging into the shower pan. Once you get one cut made you will probably be able to get the chisel under the lip of the flange (bevel side down) and begin cutting and breaking it out. With the lip removed the rest with the nut will fall through.

If you can't turn the nut or cut away the flane lip, we'll go into the tool manufacturing business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

Fiberglass shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem. 1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain...

Need advice on simple shower drain leak. Pics provided. [ 6 Answers ]

We discovered a moisture leak on the 1st floor ceiling below our master bathroom shower. We had a friend cut out the damaged section of the ceiling and ran the shower water to test where the leak was originating. The leak is coming from the rim of the shower drain. I provided pictures to...

Fiberglass Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.

Fiberglass Jacuzzi Tub Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain leak on my fiberglass jacuzzi tub. I have removed the metal drain from the tub and cleaned it, cleaned the rubber washer on top of the PVC drain pipe, and applied a new coat of plumbers putty to the metal drain before reinstalling it. I still have a small leak coming from where the...

View more questions Search