Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Bathroom shower - Cover or replace?
    Hello,

My bathroom shower/tub needs a facelift. She's cute, but not that cute, as my wife would say. So we're considering tearing down the tile inside the shower wall wall and replacing with new tile. Or we're thinking about just getting one of those vinyl shower covers that you place over the tub and this creates your new wall and shower unit. Any thoughts on pros, cons, costs on either? Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

TJ
    cdh Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Jan 12, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Go with replacing the tile. Tile work is not hard to do and it looks a lot better and classier. Cost will vary depending on the tile you use. Natural stone is best for the shower because it is porous and not as slippery when its wet
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
    We had one of the vinyl covers installed about a year ago. Its holding up great. Cost was about 1/3 to 1/2 of a rip out job. It did take 2 days to complete because of some problems with the pipes. But that's less than a rip job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpapa
    thanks for the note, yes helpful. What are the approximate costs of the covering job?
    TJ,

I prefer that questions be kept public so that all can benefit.

My job was about $1800. I'm on LI, NY so prices may be higher than other areas. Rip jobs (according to local ads) generally start at $4000.
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Thanks for the notes. Guess I have some options to look into.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
    I don't think the cover jobs were available over 25 years ago when I ripped out my tile. I went with a 3 piece acrylic. Still looks great with no, that is none at all, maintenance.

I am not sure you need our opinions here. The cover unit will be cheaper and easier to do, and take less upkeep. Many people love the look of the tile and are willing to care for the grout. Tile may help the resale value. It is a matter of deciding what you want.

Be sure to consider upgrading the fixtures at the same time if they need it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2006, 01:54 PM
    . Please post plumbing questions on the plumbing page.
    Thank you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remodel options needed: Replace bath with shower [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking at removing a standard fiberglass bathtub/shower enclosure and installing a tiled shower. What are my options for the base of the shower? I've seen one or two products online that are cultured marble bases with tile inserts that fit right into the old bathtub rough opening. They...

Bathroom shower [ 2 Answers ]

My question is the bath room up stairs shower or tub the water will only get to approx, 100 degrees if I move the lever it gets cold and some times the water goes from warm to cold. It's a Symmons Temptrol valve about six years old and I have replaced the stem already.

Trying to replace a shower with a tub [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me how to replace my shower with a tub? My father said that it would be difficult, but a plumber that was out unclogging our pipes said that if the drains did not match up we could run extension pipes. My father says only if we build up the floor first. I need to know the...

Loss of pressure in bathroom shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All Need help. The electric shower in my bathroom has recently had a severe drop in water pressure, so much so that it is no more than a trickle of water now. I have checked the plumbing and there doesn't appear to be any breaks, leaks or blockages. Every other tap in the house has normal...

Replace tub with shower [ 3 Answers ]

I removed the old tub and exposed the drain pipe. Where the drain pipe comes through the slap there is a 8x8 hole to allow the tub drain pipes to fit. I'm going to install new drain pipes for the tile shower which consist of a 90 coming out of the main drain pipe then 6" to another 90 that will...

View more questions Search