Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tub_but Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
    H1B visa expenses and tax deduction
    I am staying in US for over 5 years.
    Hi I worked for a start up company in 2007 on H1B. I had to pay the lawyer fee for the H1B processing and the same got repeated for the University that I am working for later on during the year. I also went to India for H1B stamping.

The question is:
    How can I claim any exemptions/deductions for the lawyer fee and also trip to India for H1B stamping. I also paid the expenses for H1B premium processing (USCIS fee) from my account (in both cases employer did not pay these expenses). I thought of using form 2106, but could not find any details of legal fee paid etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 09:11 PM
    The legal fees are probably deductible on Form 2106, but the processing fees are NOT.

As for deducting the trip to India, THAT is a stretch, because you can get the H-1B stamp done in Mexico if necessary.
    OneSolution Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I was told and everywhere that you cannot deduct any legal fees for h1b?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
    Note the AGE of the post. I have since stated, multiple times, that visa fees are NOT deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Travel expenses deduction for L1 visa (less than 1 year) [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, My sister, Indian citizen worked for WMC direct (Burbank) from Aug 12th 2005 to June 12th 2006 with an L1 visa. According to publication 519, pg 28, Chapter 5, if a temporary assignment lasts less than 1 year, ordinary and necessary travel expenses as well as lodging(rent paid...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

H1B Tax form and deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering If I should use 1040 NR or 1040 for my tax purpose.I was a H1B visa holder for the whole last year.How much deductions can I claim.Thanks.

View more questions Search