Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nguyenl04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Tankless water heater issue
    I recently replace my water heater with a tankless water heater. I purchase the Aquastar 250SX gas unit. The unit works great if I'm running hot water only. It will continuously give me hot water as long as I want it. However, when I want to reduce the tempurature by turning on the cold water, the water goes cold in 10 min. I turn off the cold water and wait for the water to heat up again in. At first, I thought is was a cross-over issue. But what I turn off the hot water line, the water stopped running from the hot faucet. I am now guessing that the pressure from the cold water line is reducing the flow rate from the hot water line and causing the tankless water heater to stop burning. Does anyone have a similar issue that I'm having? :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 10:17 AM
    It sounds exactly like the one problem I saw causing me to not buy a tankless heater. Check, there is a spec for the minimum flow rate. Turn the water down too far, and the heat goes off. You may be able to work around it by reducing the set temperature. That way you will use more, but lower temperature water.

If you do a search here, you can find where I question if tankless heaters are a good idea.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 6, 2011, 05:50 PM
    I would turn the temp up on the tankless heater so the mixing doesn't cool it down so quickly and drastically.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 11:29 PM

Handyman2007: You are responding to 5 year old post.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 7, 2011, 05:21 AM
    Maybe someone should get Ask to eliminate posts that are 6 months or older... hmmmmm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Tankless water heater-good or bad? [ 6 Answers ]

We are going to need our ancient water heater replaced soon. We have been considering the tankless ones. I understand you get instant hot water only when you need it. Are these worth the extra money or are we better off with a new regular one. Thanks.

Tankless Water Heater venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Can anyone tell me why you need to use stainless steel pipe for venting on a tankless gas water heater. What would happen if you connected to existing galvanized steel? Any info would be appreciated.

View more questions Search