Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:02 AM
    The practice of "Balancer" comment
    Every so often I notice that someone will comment with a "Balancer" comment by using the Approve choice when rating an answer.

Seems to be an effort to counter against a Disapprove rating that was given to a particular answer.

Why?

What purpose does this serve?

Does this practice offer any relief or remedy to the comment that disapproved the answer?

Should one feel better about their answer by receiving a balancer comment?

Or should one feel grateful?

It appears to not have any effect on one's approval rating. Or does it?

The Approve and Disapprove rating is in response to if the answer given is accurate. We all know that often this system is not used properly, esp by noob's. Who really cares anyway?

I don't see that adding "Balancer" to be any better, or useful, for any purpose.

Am I wrong? Or naïve? Or nitpicking?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Should one feel better about their answer by receiving a balancer comment? Am I wrong? Or naive? Or nitpicking?
    Hello tk:

Yes, they should. I do.

After you've had an argument with somebody, don't you feel better when one of your friends tells you that you were right?? That's all a balancer is. It doesn't mean world peace, but I like it when my friends support me.

Are you a nitpicker?? I think you are. Or, maybe you're just bored.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I don't see that adding "Balancer" to be any better, or useful, for any purpose.
    I do it. My thinking is that I don't want the receiver's reputation ruined by giving of a reddie that was gainst the rules of the commenting system.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 AM
    I have given balancers when the comments feature was grossly misused by the rater. I do it more to show the asker that the answer given was good and should be listened to instead of ignored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A comment to those who want to ask why their cat is "acting strange" [ 4 Answers ]

I work at a veterinary office that is exclusively for cats, but have been primarily reading and posting things in the "Psychics" section. Today, curious, I came into "Cats" to see what people in this section are talking about... and was appalled at how many of you are coming here to ask serious...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search