Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PopcornSunshineKisses Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Healthy but Effective weight Loss Tips?
    Im Looking for Tips in losing weight and getting Toned With A Period of 5-9 Months
    I've Tried different Things But loose interest
    Im 16 and No this isn't a peer Pressure issue Or Trying too Look good For Anyone but Myself :)
    But I'm Not too active and want too be more healthy Does anyone Know A slow But steady to Advance way too loose weight?
    MycheleXoXo Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2008, 02:26 AM
    Hi there! :)

I honestly think, that at your age the best course of action is to get more active and to eat right... simple, huh?

I think learning now the best way to eat is going to help you sooo much as you progress into adulthood! Learn the healthy way to stay fit and healthy now and you won't have to make major lifestyle changes later!

I'm going to do some research and come back to give you either a link or more info, but there is some great new research into eating and your blood type! Also, the same Dr. who wrote the book I'm thinking of (can't remember the name, hence the need to do a bit of research myself) also has, in his book, tips on how to exercise for your particular body shape! We all have different bodies and learning which body "shape"/category we fall into and then learning the proper excercises for our individual shape keeps us from wasting effort and energy on something that doesn't produce results for us while getting fantastic results where we need it... :)

I'm glad to hear that this is for YOU! That is a great and healthy attitude to have, especially at your age! Proud of you, PSK!

I'll be back later to give you the info I find!
    XoXo
    Mychele
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I don't know what your diet is like at the moment but here is some advice based on common pitfalls.

Only drink water and lots of it, fizzy drinks and even fruit juices contain calories which don't make you feel full. Even avoid diet drinks because the more I have read about artificial sweeteners and their effects on metabolism the more they seem like a mistake for the dieter.

Eat lean meat and fish, avoid processed meat i.e. burgers and sausages. If you really have to have them look for good quality ones with a high meat percentage (>85%). Avoid battered or fried meat, go for steamed, boiled or grilled.

Eat clear sauces not creamy ones. Think coq au vin not carbonarra.

Salad may be good but wathc the dressings. Some of the fast food burger chain's salads are more fatty and full of calories than the burgers!

An apple a day... Can't say enough about these guys they are really good at curbing hunger as they contain pectin- a type of fibre which fills you up.

Snacks can be good eat fruit, nuts, seeds. Sunflower seeds contain magnesium which is really good if you get PMT. Don't eat more than one banana a day though as it is high in potassium and you want some but not too much, also as fruit goes it is higher in calories, makes an excellent breakfast though.

Whole grains such as brown bread, pasta and rice should be the staples of your meals.

Eat low fat dairy i.e. skimmed milk)- this is important for calcium buildup, at your age you need to lay down as much as you can as it only declines when you get older.

Never skip breakfast! If you do you might as well give up. Eat something like wholegrain cereal or toast, fruit salad, porridge. You should aim for this to be quiet high in calories 300 to 500 as it really kick starts your metabolism.

Potatoes eat the mashed, boiled or jacket not fried, chips or roasted. A jacket potato with tuna makes a good dinner or lunch.

Eat low fat mayonnaise (or not at all) and margarine instead of butter.
    Don't deny yourself what you crave! I'm a total chocoholic so if I want some I have it. But not too much. I buy I snack sized chocolate bars or buy a box of expensive chocolates and have one or two if I feel the need.

You are still at school right? Take a packed lunch so you don't have to eat at the canteen- if it is anything like the one I used to have this will save you putting so much rubbish in your body!

Things to do are a few simple swaps like the one I mentioned above and you will cut back on your calories without even trying. Things to watch out for are things called 'diet' or 'low fat'- half the time they just knock out the fat and replace it with sugar. They don't even have to change it that much. Sometimes I am truly shocked how deceiving packaging can be. As a general rule the less processed something is the better it is for you. Try cooking your own meals from scratch then you have complete control what is in them- your family will be impressed as well.

If it all seems a bit daunting just swap one thing at a time. Try starting with water :)
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Jan 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Activity, Water, NO FAST FOOD or POP, and you will do just fine. You are at a tough age for weight control for girls (sorry... young women ;-) ) Find an activity or two that you love. Biking, rollerblading, walking, jogging, anything. You just need to make sure to get off your A**. I would suggest maybe trying to find a partner with similar goals, maybe someone older who is willing to mentor you. It is really about lifestyle. Just cutting a few bad habbits can make a huge difference!

Oh yeah... get off the computer and get a good nights sleep. You need 8 hours... it is the most important thing it weight loss!
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Jan 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Oh yeah... one more thing EVERYONE!! Realize this girl is 16 and probably isn't in control of what is being put in front of her for dinner every night, or even what is bought at the grocery store. You have to make sure you family knows what you are trying to do babe! Otherwise they can be the worst sabotures and not even know it! Take care!
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I think there is some great advice in these posts. In addition to the healty eating, try to find an exercise that you really like. I love dance and I have some dance workout videos. Sometimes my friends come over and exercise with me. They make them with good music too. Consider joining a sports team, if there is one you like. Just find whatever makes you happy. If you like it, it will be easier to stick to it. Also, for me, it helps to try to exercise as soon as I have free time. If I wait and plan on doing it later, lots of time I won't. Do little things too. Run up steps, park far away in the lot, wake up a do a few jumping jacks or go run around the house once. Little things add up.
    PopcornSunshineKisses Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Jan 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Thank You Everyone Above With The Healthy Food tips Im Planning on making a Food chart Not an Unhealthy one but Where I Eat Breakfast (I don't usally) Pack a Lunch and some Type Of Healthy supper also My next semester is coming up and I've Taken Dance classes (at lunch) But still need to Find out how to be More Active Im not Too Sporty More Into
    (drama Art etc.) I have Problems Sticking To a plan But I do like walking/jogging
    And Have a dog Wich is a Bonus

I've Found lots Of different exersisting Tips But There Things that Involves Going to Gyms
    And such just woundering if Anyone else Could Tell Me Certain Things about exersising?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Jogging and running are excellent forms of exercise. Skipping is also really good. Walking is a fantastic way to exercise you actually burn the same amount of calories running and walking the same distance. Running has the benefit of working out he cardiovascular system more than walking though.

Do you live near mountains/hills? Hill walking is really good for you. And it is really fun and relaxing. But never go on your own or unprepared! I like walking with a proper rucksack with a frame, it really makes you stand up straight and works out your abdomen. They aren't cheap unfortuanetly but the come in so handy for travelling. I used to do tons of hillwalking at your age and I carried about 2 stone (12.7kg) which was a fantastic workout. Start about 3 to 5 miles then try and increase it to 10 miles.

There are loads of exercises you can do without going to a gym (I think they are pretty overrated myself) push ups, sit ups, leg raises etc. It is better to get someone to show you how to do these thing properly and watch you do them a few times so that you don't do it weird and pull a muscle/strain yourself.

Just find something you really like (ie me and hillwalking) and you will do it without thinking and it won't be a chore.
    bigdog747 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Walking walking walking lots of Water. Find an activity YOU like and start slow. Also find a partner. I have been power lifting for over 20 years and at time I was like to just go home after work like the others. However I'm hooked on lifting.

Good luck young lady

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss tips during the Holidays? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, and happy Holidays! Well, Since it is the holiday season, I dotn want to pork up,so portion cotnrol! But! I would like to lose 10 pounds. Now I am at a good body weight, I am average but I would just feel better knowing I got rid of an extra 10 pounds :)> Does anyone have some...

What are good quick weight loss tips [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... OK, here's the thing. One of my best friends and I are throwing our birthday parties together on Apr.14th. I'm not fat nor am I skinny. I'm what I like to call thick but I have these "luv handles" that I want to get rid of asap. Can somebody, anybody please tell me a good healthy...

Any effective weight loss pills? [ 13 Answers ]

Has anyone tried a weight loss pill that doesn't make you 1) sick 2)jittery/unable to sleep and makes you feel full? I'm not expecting a miracle but are there actually honest positive testimonials out there?

Dramatic weight loss produces saggy skin: any tips? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was overweight ever since I was a young girl, and eventually went up to 200 pounds by the time I was 18. Before I turned 19 though I joined a gym and changed my eating habits and was able to lose 70 pounds, but I'm still left with seriously unsightly and cumbersome saggy skin on my belly and...

View more questions Search