Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sabey43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Louisiana Law on inheriting money from my deceased brother?
    I inherited money from my deceased brother's will. I'm on disablity and I would like to know if this money would jeopardize my disability income? I'm 75 years old. I no longer file income taxes... would I have to because of this money? It's less than 50,000. Would I have to pay inheritance tax?

Sabey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Inheritance tax is paid by the estate, not the heirs. If this was a cash bequest then no tax is owed. Disability is insurance, not welfare, so they shouldn't have a claim on this money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother asks for money [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My brother is 62 years old. He has been working at home on an entertainment show for gay folks for about 35 years. He relies on donations to survive. It is a nonprofit organization. About three years ago, he asked me for $300. This was not a big deal to me and I gave my brother the...

This is about money owed a deceased person [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter owed my father 7ooo. She paid 2000. Of it and my father died a month later. My brother is trying to sue my daughter for this. I need a reference point to give to judge. Can anyone help me. I already paid 800. To a lawyer who says you cannot sue a family member for money lent. But I...

Mother deceased, am I entitled to any money? [ 2 Answers ]

Never mind, apparently children in need should be ASHAMED of themselves for asking their surviving parent for financial help. I guess their grief is of no importance, their lives have not been altered in any way, and the surviving parent should be allowed to frivolously spend the retirement wages...

Possession by deceased in-law - or just genetic predisposition? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question and would like your opinion: My husband (whom I'll call Bob), to whom I'll be married 22 years in July, is making me crazy. You see, when we first got together, he was the exact opposite of his mother (whom I'll call Terry - and who passed away in 1989 due to complications of...

View more questions Search