Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    308426 Posts: 4, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 05:41 PM
    OCD and compulsive skin picking?
    Okay, this might sound very weird but in the past few months I have developed a habit with picking the skin on my scalp. I feel that I do it to neutralize my intense anxiety stemming from a recovery from PSTD, and OCD flare-up and a tragic, recent break-up. I was wondering if anyone else out there has this habit, how often do you do it, and what works in trying to stop?

Again, I know it sounds weird. It's like a form of nail-biting for me, and I have few other habits other than this. Can anyone relate?

Thank you,

Laney
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
    The secret is to substitute another behavior for this. Be mindful of when you do it, and immediately switch to the preferred behavior. It could be something very simple like squeezing a soft ball or scribbling on a piece of paper. Always have the objects like the ball with you. The more useful the preferred behavior is, the faster you will break the habit. If you use a computer a lot and type with both hands, that could be the preferred behavior. That was the preferred behavior I used to break my own destructive habit.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:11 PM
    I have developed a bad habit over the last two years due to anxiety about, I think, how I will be able to survive... on my own... given the financial and health challenges I face going forward.

I had an accident in the kitchen in which I splashed hot oil onto the back of my left hand and burned my hand and arm badly. When it was healing, I took to peeling the scabs off, and this has developed into a "pleasurable habit". *Now*, I can understand the pleasure people get from inflicting momentary excruciating pain upon themselves.

In fact, I finally discussed going into a nursing home with a social worker; perhaps, I will be able to stop my bad habit when I resolve this most difficult of decisions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you think you I have OCD? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I have OCD? Well mostly when anybody I know says they are mad at me I freak out never stop thinking about try to fix it no matter what even if I can live without the person when its over but I can't stand haven people mad at me even joking about mad at me I kind of obsess...

When is a compulsion not OCD? [ 8 Answers ]

Not a serious problem compared to so many posted here. When I leave my house, after I've locked the door and taken a few steps, 9 times out of ten I have to go back inside for some reason. For example, I forgot to take a letter I was going to mail. Once in a while, when I'm about to go back...

Stop skin picking! [ 5 Answers ]

Does anybody know of any tips on how to stop picking the skin around my fingers and my head? Half the time I don't even notice I'm doing it. I work in a lab and it's not particularly safe to have broken skin working with the pathogens and chemicals. It started when I was around six and it comes...

Do I have OCD? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a 19 year old male. Four years ago at the age of 15, I did something really really stupid. Although I regretted doing it, I never dwelled on it too long and realized that I made a mistake and just moved on. About three weeks ago, the thought just randomly popped in my head, and I haven't...

View more questions Search