Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 25, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Submersible Well Pump, Won't Reach Cut-out
    I have a 100' well with submersible pump, approx 15 years old. The other night I heard it running for an extended period and found it was about 5 psi under cutout (60) but not increasing. After turning the pump off and waiting several hours this condition remained. Due to neccesity I lowered the cut-out setting to 45 so that I could get it to operate automatically. This appeared to work then. However, this evening I found again the pump could not achieve this new cut-out setting and was running continuously, so I was forced to lower it yet again, to about 40psi. This is a 1/2 hp Sta-Rite pump, 240 volt, again 15 years old. I checked current draw of the unit, I found settled current draw of 5 Amps. I also shut off pump and house side main water valve for several hours and was able to maintain constant pressure. This system also uses what appears to be a 40 gallon bladder tank, but this appears to still be in good condition. I adjusted the tank pressure to be just under cut-in of pump control both times.

So my question is, do you suspect worn out pump ?
    Or a cracked riser line? Or maybe a failing check valve?
    Or maybe some other scenario that I haven't thought of ?

Your help is appreciated
    Thanks,
    Morrowrj
    ME shell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 06:25 PM
    If your tank is empty when you check it, and you pump is still running ,check your float
    Ball. This is a common problem and will eventually blow the pump. You can check it by raising the float manually and checking it to see of it shuts on and off. Shake it. If this is the problem it should fix itself by shaking or tapping it. Good luck
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
    It does sound like the pump. I'm not sure what ME is talking about involving a float valve. I would think you are adjusting the pressure at the switch. I would, just to be sure, check the tank to be sure the bladder is still holding. You can do this by pressing the air valve at the top for a couple of seconds. Should only be air coming out, not water. You can also tap up the side with a screwdriver handle. The "tone" will change when you hit air, hopefully about halfway up. Still, when it won't pump up to cut out pressure, that sounds like the pump. If it was the checkvalve, you would notice a rapid drop in pressure when the pump cuts off as water drained back down the well pipe into the well.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Feb 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Well, I don't know what MEShell is talking about, this is a drinking water well, not a drain sump. Anyway, the tank checked out OK. I ended up pulling the pump and replacing. The pump continued to loose the ability to reach max pressure over the following 24hrs after my first post. Thanks for your help

Morrowrj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting submersible pump problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I am having a little trouble with a submersible pump. It pressures up to 28 pounds (it should pressure to 50 pounds) and then it just sets there. Can't seem to get any more pressure but the switch doesn't seem to be doing anything after it reaches the 28 pounds. I have watched it and I can't...

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

Submersible water pump trouble [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having trouble with my water so I bought a new water pump, it's the submersible type for a well. The water would work for a short time then just stop. The new water pump does the same thing. I can't find anyone who can tell me what the problem is. The bladder tank pressure is reading 32...

Submersible pump doesn't work after power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a new 1/2 hp submersible pump. I was using it to pump water out of my small above ground pool. The other day there were some storms about 25 miles away and our power went out. Since the power came back on the pump doesn't work. The ground fault outlet wasn't tripped and the...

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search