Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justme005 Posts: 200, Reputation: 7

Jan 25, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Losing time when drunk.
    I've been getting drunk a lot in the past 2 weeks... its no good. After getting drunk I found out things that people said to me that I don't remember... I did things and don't have a clue about it. Luckily I am around safe people and I've been making good choices when it comes to guys. The thing is I'm really worried about this. I always used to drink this often and always have the same amount to get drunk.. I don't understand why all of a sudden I am forgetting things that happened at the very end of the night. The beginning and middle are all good its just the end. Is something wrong w. me? Y am I all of a sudden losing time when I'm drunk? Also I have been getting very red in the fast when drunk and when coming out of the shower. This is all strange and new to me.odd things are happening.

Anybody have any thoughts or answers!

If you do... thanksssssssss ;)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
    I guess you're an alcoholic who is having blackouts.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
    That is natural as you age and it only gets worse. They say every time you drink you kill so many brain cells, eventually more cells effected the more you start noticing it.
    Know... how alcohol works

Some of my friends and neighbors that are alcoholic and in their 40's have so much brain damage they constantly ask me the same question over and over. I can be driving them to the grocery store a few minutes away and they ask at least 6 times, "Where are we going again?"
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
    I think your body may be sending you a message saying that it is time to stop drinking. If you are having blackouts, it is time to quit. It's good that you party with safe people, but you have to think about your health in addition to your safetly. Even if you could handle it in the past, your body can't take it now.

I would also recommend that you ask your doctor about the flushed face. It could be a warning sign of another problem.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Alcohol changes the body. It makes cells less permeable. I don't remember all of it. Over time, your body is adapting to your alcohol intake. It is a poison, especially for alcoholics.

When "normies" drink, their body slowly changes the alcohol to acetaldehyde, a toxic by-product which is then made into something else that the body can eliminate. Acetaldehyde is what floats around in the blood and gives you a hangover, nausea and all that fun stuff.

In the body of an alcoholic, alcohol is turned into acetaldehyde very, very fast. They can drink faster and more than a normie, and have lots of fun. But the body adapts to being poisoned. Over time, the cells, in their attempt to keep alcohol out begin to keep out nutrients... That's all I remember about that.

Not remembering things at the end of the evening is a physical reaction to long term intake. Getting a red face can be alcohol related too. Your body is no longer able to handle the amounts it used to. Although you continue to drink the same amount, it has become too much. You are poisoning yourself. Alcohol is socially acceptable and legal. That doesn't mean that it is not poisonous.

Go to AA. Read their free pamphlets and learn about it. Quitting drinking may mean changing some of your friends and certain lifestyle alterations. That stuff is killing you! I've been there. I am not judging you one bit. Alcohol lies to you, tells you that you do not have a problem with it. That is addiction.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Darlin, if you know that you have a problem with blacking out when you drink too much, why would you want to drink?

Worse, what if someone took advantage of you while you were drunk and you "blacked out" and can't remember? My mind is going over all kinds of worst-case-scenarios here... none of them are pretty pictures.

Honey, you need to seriously back off the drink. Partying can be fun without the drink. Social drinking can be fun - and it can also be controlled.

My advice to you is take a step back from drinking so much... its not going to hurt you by doing so... but it seriously could hurt you if you continue blacking out from so much liquor.

Jan 25, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Okk thanks... I am going to try this: I mean I am a college kid. I'm always partying... any day of the week. It will be way hard to completely stop. But maybe I can limit it to only drinking on weekends and a lot less of it when I do drink. This may be a good place for me to start. The more I think of it the more I am noticing a problem here. Nights when I don't drink (rare) I can't go to sleep... my heart is racing. This is my 3rd yr of college my 1st drink was freshman yr. its been 3 yrs of drinking. I do not drink in the summer and over breaks when I go home. That's a good thing. I do not think I am an alcoholic but I am def on my way there. Thanks for everything any more advice or support it welcomed!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:57 PM
    The first step is recognizing the problem. The hard part is going to be when you actually put it into practice. But you can do it! :)

Good luck to you, justme005. I hope that you are successful in "stepping back"!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Your lucky you still have a young strong body right now, as the effects of alcohol will get worse, and as you build resistance, you will drink more. Now you are having blackouts, that will get worse, until you develop "wet brain" from alcoholism (Google this). Young people think they can drink, and party, but the long term consequences, are devastating. Cutting back is not enough, quitting is the answer.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Here is a website that list possible causes for the 'red face'. Now, some of these are very serious, so don't freak out when you read it, lol. In your case, it is most likely caused from the drinking.

Red face - Multiple Symptom Checker - WrongDiagnosis.com

There is a section on there about alcohol. I think it's really good that you are cutting back. When you do drink, make sure to drink a glass of water for every alcoholic drink. It will help you drink less and you will stay hydrated.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 03:57 PM
    justme005 agrees: what kind of problem??

Just to name two brain damage and kills vitamin B 1 and other vitamins and minerals and enzymes.

Alcohol-related Neurological Disease Information on Healthline

Drunkorexia: Health Danger For Women, Young Women Court Danger By Substituting Alcohol Calories For Food Calories - The ShowBuzz
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Hey justme,

I'm sorry to tell you this but no one becomes an alcoholic. We are born that way and it is triggered by ingestion. If you are having trouble sleeping if you aren't drinking before bed? Now is not the time to slow down your drinking. If you want a life, quit. Because it gets worse.

Picture yourself 40 years old. Sleeping rarely happens, you can only pass out. Your face is puffy and you look sick. Your eyes and face are various shades of red all the time. When you're awake, you're either drinking or driving drunk to the store to get some. You can't drink at work so there you experience the acetaldehyde poisoning. You are dizzy, can't think, jumpy and keep running to the little girls room to make yourself throw up, so you can act like you are working. Your husband and kids are in the way of your drinking. Everyone and everything is getting in the way, all you want to do is stay drunk.

Quit now, and you will have a life. Because you aren't that bad... yet.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
    For every ounce of liquor consumed, 7,000 brain cells die.

Jan 26, 2008, 02:40 PM
    you r scaring me. Maybe this why I feel dizzy and like throwing up after eating and just randomly. This is worse than I thought... :(
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme005
    ya'll r scaring me. maybe this why i feel dizzy and like throwing up after eating and just randomly. this is worse than i thought......... :(
    Welcome to the real world, where fun can be very costly. It is scary, so do something for yourself to change it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 04:01 PM
    It's not uncommon to have memory lapses when you've been under the influence of alcohol. Also, reddened skin is a common side effect of alcohol use, especially when done to excess. It sounds like you may have a problem with alcohol and need to either cut back or stop altogether. Counseling can help in this regard. Don't just brush it off as excessive alcohol consumption can have drastic physical and emotional consequences.

Jan 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Tonight is my last night drinking until next weekend. Its going to be a rough week, I'm feel so ty and shaky and pukey... but in the long run ill be better off I think... lol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 04:05 PM
    tonite is my last nite drinking until next weekend. its gunna be a rough week, im feel so ty and shaky and pukey ... but in the long run ill be better off i think.... lol
    That really sounds like alcoholic talk. Today is my last day... until tomorrow comes and there is a reason to celebrate or a very stressful day. Then that will be their last day.

You either quit or you don't.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
    until next weekend
    No, not until "next weekend." Stop. Now. Go to A.A.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Let me see, you drink to the point of being drunk to start with. And then drinking to the point of not knowing what is going on,

Yes here is a problem, you are a drunk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The Drunk [ 1 Answers ]

A completely inebriated man walked into a bar and, after staring for some time at the only woman seated at the bar, walked over to her, placed his hand up her skirt and began fondling her. She jumped up and slapped him silly. He immediately apologized and explained, "I'm sorry. I thought you...

Having a hard time losing weight again, any ideas are appreciated [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 22/5'4/235 lbs I really never even dreamed of getting overweight like this, but here I am now. Back in High school I was a huge workout addict, everyday I would lift/cardio for 8 hour sessions. But now I have a daughter and didn't work and didn't have time to exercise, so now I'm extremely...

Losing weight in a short amount of time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want to lose weight but I can't seem to lose it as fast as I started to a month ago. I wanted to lose weight for the summer but summer is almost here what can I do??

Losing a long time friend [ 3 Answers ]

Hi last September I lost contact with my best friend of 4+ years over something so stupid. It would take down forever to write what happened but I'll try and write something brief: Basically it started because me and another friend of ours was invited out by some old school m8s last minute. She...

Drunk Problems [ 9 Answers ]

My friend Drew is mad at me. On Friday of last week there was a party he and I were invited to. I didn’t go knowing there would be alcohol. He did unfortunately. Well he got drunk and made out with his now ex-girlfriend’s now ex-best friend. She was at a party with me that we knew no alcohol would...

View more questions Search