Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
    I think you need to quit, not just cut back. You are an alcoholic, honey. I'm sorry to have to say it, but it's true. If you can't quit for even one week, there is a problem there. Alcoholics can't drink. Period. Your body is damaged enough already. Can you imagine having fun without alcohol? Honey, lots of people fall into alcoholism in college.

My brother in law started drinking on weekends in college, just like you. Then he started to associate fun with alcohol. If there wasn't booze, he wasn't having fun. Now, he drinks at least 15 beers a day, has no social life, no friends, no girlfriend. He is staying with us right now because he was evicted. He spent all his money on beer. This morning we found him in the living room drooling on himself with a beer still clenched in his hand. His teeth are rotted out, he's bald, he used to be so smart and now he acts like an idiot. He has ulcers, insomnia, anger problems, and he's only 25 years old. Please don't end up like him. He lost his job for drinking at work.

Go to AA. If you don't have the willpower to resist drinking, check yourself into rehab. Hang out with people who don't drink. You are the only one who can save your life here. Please get help for yourself.
    justme005 Posts: 200, Reputation: 7

Jan 26, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I see... I don't know why I feel like puking at random... like all of a sudden it in hits me... after I eat I want to puke! Its an awful feeling.

also is blood in your bowel movement mean something? Lol it must. I think I saw a small tad today :0

maybe I should talk to someone at my school about this...

we r about to drink now... drinking games and whatnot. I promise this is the last day. U all can hold me to it. Ima try and go a week w.o it.

oh dear...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Blood in your bowel movement can be caused by an ulcer. Ulcers can be caused by drinking. Ulcers, if left untreated can become very serious and lead to hospitalization.

Oh, have fun getting drunk again.

Jan 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Blood in the bowel movement is VERY serious. Was it bright red or dark? I don't get it. You are getting ready to play drinking games,but you come on this site first to talk about alcoholism? You have to get in rehab. My best friend is a nurse in ICU. They had a 23 year old woman die of liver failure this week. She was an alcoholic.

Alcoholics always say "This is the last time". It's like me when I was trying to quit smoking. I'd say "Oh, I'll only smoke when I'm out with my friends on the weekend" That never happened. I had to quit for good period. I was addicted to it. I still am. I would love to be smoking a cig right now. But I won't. Because if I did, I would go back to a pack a day in a second. I know that's not the same as alcohol, but I was able to overcome it with counseling and willpower.
    There are people who can drink socially and people who can't. Tell your friends about your insomnia, puking, red face, and anal bleeding. Tell them that is why you aren't going to be drinking tonight.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, hon. I'm just worried about you. I think talking to a counselor at your school is a very good idea.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 07:14 PM
    You are killing yourself with every drink, even after all the symptoms have hit you in the eyes and A$$. How stupid is that? That's what drunks do though.

Jan 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
    I'm sorryy... :(... I am sooo sad rite now... I'm depressed... I'm lonely.. I'm a druink... its badd... I need help.. I just can't do it on my own. I can't do this. I'm so scared. Someone help. Ahh... :,(
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme005
    i see....i dont know why i feel like puking at random... like all of a sudden it in hits me... after i eat i wanna puke! its an awful feeling.

also is blood in ur bowel movement mean something? lol it must. i think i saw a small tad today :0

maybe i should talk to someone at my school about this...

we r about to drink now... drinking games and whatnot. i promise this is the last day. u all can hold me to it. ima try and go a week w.o it.

oh dear...
    Excessive alcohol consumption irritates your digestive and urinary tracts. Blood in the stool can be serious ; hemorrhoids, ulcers, cancer or simple irritation. Stomach irritation, to the point of vomiting, is common as well. See a doctor to address the symptoms you've been experiencing and also for consultation on how to successfully stop drinking. Alcoholism is due to a chemical imbalance and it is triggered by alcohol consumption. The only way to successfully treat alcoholism is no booze whatsoever.

Jan 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Gotcha... its all smooth sailing from here. Last night was my last. Today equals a fresh start. I don't want to live the life of an alcoholic. I don't want my hands to shake because I need some booze. I don't want to feel dizzy and nervous all day. Its time for change and there is no day like the present. I shall keep everyone posted on my experience at the AA meeting and if I break my promise of no drinking... I will be veryyy upset!

Jan 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
    If anyone is still reading this...

I am having sleeping problems. I did not dirnk last night and I didn't feel shaky or anything (surprisingly) but I just could not sleep. This has been happening so much lately.. even after a night of drinking... I pass out and wake up in the early am and cannot fall bak asleep! What is going on here. No caffeine in me either...

UGHHH!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Darlin, your body is going through withdrawal. You've gotten used to your alcohol intake and it is craving it. This is a normal thing for someone who is going cold turkey. Keep it up and DON'T drink again!

I commend you for doing this. It is very difficult... but you are going to get through it! You're stronger than this addiction...

You may consider talking to the counselor at your college about these symptoms, your determination to quit drinking, and the affect that its having on your life and personality. Its just a thought... maybe she can help you better than we can on this forum.

But please keep us up to date. We're all rooting for you! :)

Jan 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
    I'm really glad to hear that you are quitting and going to AA. It will take a while for your body to get used to not having the alcohol. If the withdrawal symptoms get really bad, go to the doctor and explain what is going on. They may be able to help.

I agree talking to the counselor about this is a good idea too.

I know you can do it! It'll be rough, but I know you can get through it! Keep being strong! :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:56 PM
    The reason you wake up a lot is that the alcohol is a depressant and has wrecked havoc with your body. It has chemically altered your brain as well. You need to start taking vitamins and minerals that your body has been depleted of. I sent you a private message.

Jan 28, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Thank you all for being so supportive! The only person I can think of talking to at my school is one of my 2 advisors... they are both music therapists (which is my major). The only thing is... I don't know if I should tell them about this since I am always in contact with them. They teach some of my classes and whatnot. So this may not be a good idea? But he already knows me and stuff and I trust him/them. We'll see if things get bad enough that I rreally need someone.

Day 2 in progress w. no drinking. Oh how exciting :)

Jan 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Is there a counseling center at your college? If there is a campus health center, ask them about counseling. Lots of time it is free or at a reduced rate for students!

I am proud of you! Take it one day at a time. You can do this! :)

Jan 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I don't know if there is.. never really looked into... maybe ill search around... I don't want people to know I'm going so... I got to be sneaky... haha
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Be sneaky all you want... but Darlin... you are going to have to realize that people are going to know you're not drinking anymore. You're going to get hit BIG TIME with peer pressure to drink again... "Aww... just one! One won't hurt!" Be ready for it. Have an answer ready for when you're tempted to slip back into the habit.

Better yet... don't put yourself in the situation where you will be tempted to drink... at least until you get a handle on the addictions.

Seriously.

You can be sneaky about going to a counselor, but people are going to know that you've quit. But Hon, you're the better person. You're strong enough to do this.

Take care, justme. We're all rooting for you.
    Marydoll Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 06:59 AM
    My God, Its called being drunk! It effects people differently! It messes with your brain! I get drunk quite also and I enjoy it! Most of the time Imyself and my partner can't remember what pub we went to last ot how we got home!

Some people get p***ed and fall around the place... You don't ask what it wrong with them do you... You know! Same should go for memory lapses! All part of the drunken rollercoster!

Jan 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Day 3 soberrrr! Holllllerrrr :) I feel so good now! AA tomorrow night at 730!
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme005
    day 3 soberrrr! holllllerrrr :) i feel so good now! AA tomorrow nite at 730!
    YOU DA BOMB, GIRL!!

Keep it up!! :D

Jan 30, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Hey folks...

Last night I barely slept. I went to bed at 1:30... tossed and turned till about 5:30am dozed off bit... woke up... fell bak asleep and had to be up for class by 9:30. So I am very tired at this point... on top of everything I got my period. Lol. Now I'm even more tired. Today sucks. Hopefully tonight will be better...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The Drunk [ 1 Answers ]

A completely inebriated man walked into a bar and, after staring for some time at the only woman seated at the bar, walked over to her, placed his hand up her skirt and began fondling her. She jumped up and slapped him silly. He immediately apologized and explained, "I'm sorry. I thought you...

Having a hard time losing weight again, any ideas are appreciated [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 22/5'4/235 lbs I really never even dreamed of getting overweight like this, but here I am now. Back in High school I was a huge workout addict, everyday I would lift/cardio for 8 hour sessions. But now I have a daughter and didn't work and didn't have time to exercise, so now I'm extremely...

Losing weight in a short amount of time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want to lose weight but I can't seem to lose it as fast as I started to a month ago. I wanted to lose weight for the summer but summer is almost here what can I do??

Losing a long time friend [ 3 Answers ]

Hi last September I lost contact with my best friend of 4+ years over something so stupid. It would take down forever to write what happened but I'll try and write something brief: Basically it started because me and another friend of ours was invited out by some old school m8s last minute. She...

Drunk Problems [ 9 Answers ]

My friend Drew is mad at me. On Friday of last week there was a party he and I were invited to. I didn’t go knowing there would be alcohol. He did unfortunately. Well he got drunk and made out with his now ex-girlfriend’s now ex-best friend. She was at a party with me that we knew no alcohol would...

View more questions Search