Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spudnick14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
    Washer back up into sink
    :confused: When the washing machine drains it backs up into the kitchen sink which is about ten feet away then drains out. This sink drains very slowly, if I plung it once or twice it drains fast.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 03:38 AM
    You've got partial blockage somewhere.

With a bucket under it, remove the trap.

Hopefully you'll find the partial blockage there.

If it's not there, then your line needs snaked (with one of these).

Folks with plumbing and/or maintenance experience will do it themselves (with an owned or rented snake) For folks with plumbing knowledge they'd do it themselves (you can buy or rent any of those snakes)... but I'd recommend you call a plumber.

Hopefully, though, you'll find the problem in that trap. That's where problems are frequently found.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Hey Spud,

Rick gave you a very good response. However, I can see two partial clogs instead of just one.
    (1) " When the washing machine drains it backs up into the kitchen sink."
    This indicates a partial blockage downstream from the kitchen sink drain line.
    This problem's fixed by snaking the kitchen drain line from the sinks roof vent.
    Let the snake go all the way down to the base of the vent and put outabout 25' more. You'll have to rent a commercial snake to do this, a small snake don't get it. Cycle the washer to test.

(2)"This sink drains very slowly."
    Since "P" traps are self scouring it's doubfull you'll find the blockage there, most sink clogs are located in the lateral,(horizontal) drain located in the wall. Remove the "J" Bend from the trap. If it's clear then send a drain snake,(see image) up the traps tail into the wall. The good news is that you'll only have to put out about 6' on snake. Reassemble the trap and flush the line out with hot water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New roof & washer/sink backing up? [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago my husband tied into the pluming for our bathroom sink to add laundry hookups. It's been working well, although occasionally some of the washing machine water will back up in the sink for a bit, but it hasn't ever overflowed the sink and the water was always clear. Last week we...

Washer back up - not a clog! [ 4 Answers ]

Our basement floor drain began backing up after washing several loads of laundry in a row. Our plumber explained that there was a clog in the line between this drain and the street but since there wasn’t a cleanout, they would need to dig up the floor and place one in the line. After the cleanout...

Washer backing up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root...

Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher and Washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my son was cleaning a fish tank and spilled gravel evidently down the bathtub drain, ever since on occasion the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washer back up into that tub, this will last sometimes for days then stop... then suddenly begin to occur again. Best ways to clear whatevers causing...

Swap kitchen sink and washer [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story home on a concrete slab. My washer connections are in my garage. We are considering a remodel and want to swap the kitchen and garage. The current kitchen sink is on an exterior wall and the washer is in the garage on an interior wall that is behind a bathroom. The kitchen and...

View more questions Search